Windows 7 64-bit: Memory Usage Keeps Gradually Increasing

guitardude777

In Runtime
I have 4gb of ram, and every time I resume from Sleep mode the memory usage seems to build to the point where I have to restart the computer to free memory. On a fresh start, task manager only shows about 30% of the memory being used. After several resumes from sleep, my memory usage is now over 70%. All I have running is firefox, skype, avast antivirus, and comodo firewall. Any idea how to stop this gradual increase of memory usage? Is this is a common Windows 7 64-bit problem?

Memory usage can always go up depending on what programs are being used. To be honest, this sounds like a case of a program with a memory leak. 4 GB of RAM is more than enough to run with Windows 7 x64. Try running HijackThis and copy the contents of the log into a reply so I can take a look.

Thanks

I actually realized that the memory leak must be with firefox, because when I restarted the program I noticed the memory go down significantly. I think it just updated to a new version today, so maybe that will help, or maybe I have to go through my add-ons and figure out if one of those is the problem.

I know it's not super believable, but when I'm at work I have two or three IE pages open and maybe a firefox page, all with 20+ tabs open (that's when I have to start scrolling through my tabs.. so I open another IE.) And I do some website editing so I can test in FF and IE...

It takes an insane amount of memory! The computer will start acting up eventually so I'll just close all of the IEs and FFs and it'll be good again :)
I think you're probably right when you say you thing FF was the problem... especially if you have a lot of tabs open

Back
Top Bottom