Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
HammyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Default Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Hello friends! I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit installed on my PC. Currently my system has 8 GB of RAM, and recently, due to some hardware issues, I had to reinstall Windows.

After doing some checks to make sure everything was working properly, I noticed this:


This makes no sense because I know for a fact I have a 64-bit operating system, and I don't believe that any of my RAM is dead.
I have tried every fix that is available for 64-bit machines that do this and nothing's working.

Help would greatly be appreciated, thank you guys so much.
__________________

HammyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

What hardware issues did you have?
Do you have an external graphics card?
Did Windows recognise the full 8GB of RAM before the reinstall?
Have you tried removing a stick of RAM and seeing what happens, and how much is displayed in the control panel? (then checking again with the other stick of RAM individually).

Often this is a case of the RAM not being inserted properly (being shaken loose etc) or damaged pins. I'd say in 7/10 cases I've been able to remove the RAM, put it back in again and it works fine!
__________________

__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

This might be of some use The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,229
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

The picture is not showing here at the office, but I think I get the picture (no pun intended).

Did you check the actual recognized amount of RAM in the BIOS/on post screen? That's were you have to check first. If it shows it wrong, make sure the hardware is attached correctly (both the RAM and the CPU).

Notes:
1- To access the BIOS, refer to the motherboard's manual, or it could be noted on the post screen. Usually it is by clicking DEL (Delete) repeatedly once you start the computer.
2- The post screen is the first black and white screen that shows up that shows the connected devices. Usually it says "American Megatrends" or "Energy" in basic simple colors.
3- Tomato is a vegetable!
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Are you running in dual channel mode?
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Baseband Member
 
HammyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Are you running in dual channel mode?
I'm sorry, i'm not entirely sure what that is! However, I'm gonna try moving the configuration of my RAM to see if that makes anything better. I think I may know the issue, thank you guys extremely much! <3

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
What hardware issues did you have?
Do you have an external graphics card?
Did Windows recognise the full 8GB of RAM before the reinstall?
Have you tried removing a stick of RAM and seeing what happens, and how much is displayed in the control panel? (then checking again with the other stick of RAM individually).

Often this is a case of the RAM not being inserted properly (being shaken loose etc) or damaged pins. I'd say in 7/10 cases I've been able to remove the RAM, put it back in again and it works fine!
My hardware issue was my old-as-dirt motherboard that I replaced! And I have a GTX 660 if that helps! However really quick I am gonna open up my PC and see what I can do in the inner workings! Thank you!
HammyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Baseband Member
 
HammyCakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 33
Talking Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
What hardware issues did you have?
Do you have an external graphics card?
Did Windows recognise the full 8GB of RAM before the reinstall?
Have you tried removing a stick of RAM and seeing what happens, and how much is displayed in the control panel? (then checking again with the other stick of RAM individually).

Often this is a case of the RAM not being inserted properly (being shaken loose etc) or damaged pins. I'd say in 7/10 cases I've been able to remove the RAM, put it back in again and it works fine!
THIS WORKED! I simply opened my case and noticed that one of the switches that held the RAM in place was not flipped down, so half of the RAM was out! I simply pulled it out and plugged it in properly and wa-la! Thank you so so so much, stay safe! <3
HammyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
joedaman633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyCakes View Post
THIS WORKED! I simply opened my case and noticed that one of the switches that held the RAM in place was not flipped down, so half of the RAM was out! I simply pulled it out and plugged it in properly and wa-la! Thank you so so so much, stay safe! <3
Wonderful, I'm really pleased to hear it!

It's easy to not plug the RAM in correctly and I've come across this problem quite a lot, now if this happens again you know the likely culprit!

All the best,

-J
__________________
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,528
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Are you running in dual channel mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyCakes View Post
I'm sorry, i'm not entirely sure what that is!
What is dual-channel memory?
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Draygoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,653
Default Re: Windows 7 64-bit limiting ram usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
The picture is not showing here at the office, but I think I get the picture (no pun intended).

Did you check the actual recognized amount of RAM in the BIOS/on post screen? That's were you have to check first. If it shows it wrong, make sure the hardware is attached correctly (both the RAM and the CPU).

Notes:
1- To access the BIOS, refer to the motherboard's manual, or it could be noted on the post screen. Usually it is by clicking DEL (Delete) repeatedly once you start the computer.
2- The post screen is the first black and white screen that shows up that shows the connected devices. Usually it says "American Megatrends" or "Energy" in basic simple colors.
3- Tomato is a vegetable!
Nice notes. Usually on the computers that I have worked on, You need to press F12 to access the bios, but its different for everyone I guess.
And as for 3... it snot!
__________________

__________________
Will have a youtube channel up soon. Link will be here if I remember.
Draygoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ram, ram help, ram limit, windows 7, windows 7 ram issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0