Windows 2000

firedude78

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have a HP Pavilion running Windows 2000. It booted up fine this morning but a few hours later, the screen went to black with the message: Operating system not found. I have rebooted several tmes and all I get is the initial HP screen and then the screen is black with the message: Operating system not found. Does this mean the hard drive has crashed? Are there any steps I could follow to check it out? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks,

O'Neil
firedude78

Well, Call HP Definitely. I doubt you will be able to get any data back from that and will end up having to reformat wether or not you have the Windows 2K disc.

Big problem: with XP and 2000, you have to delete the partition containing Windows and reformat that partition before you can reinstall.

If all your data is on the one partition, you're basically screwed.

Download Knoppix, burn it onto a CD, and boot using it to at least see the contents of your hard drive. It may give you pointers as to what's going wrong, and if your hard drive's crashed completely, you won't be able to view any of it.

With the Windows 2000 CD you should be able to Repair the Install?

Or indeed Install 2000 again on the same partition, as far as I am aware it only warns you against installing two versions on one partition, it does not say you cannot.

Back
Top Bottom