Windows 10 Default App/Program Problem

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So on my Mum's Windows 10 laptop, She has been complaining that she cannot open photos properly through the default Photos app. I spent half an hour trying to fix it such as using CCleaner various commands through Powershell and a system restore but none of those worked. I also tried using a reg hack that enabled the old Windows photo viewer but that didn't work either.

I am going to reinstall Windows tomorrow. Before I do, does anyone have any suggestions?

Well before you do a reinstall of W10, I would try installing a different program on there to see if that works opening here photos.

I'm not familar with Windows 10, but its worth a shot.

I don't think you need a registry hack to enable the old photo viewer. You can switch it in your default programs settings. What issue does she run into with the new app? Is there some kind of error?

When she opens any picture the photos app just won't open. If I open the start menu and click it, it just gets a black shadow/outline.

As crazyman143 mentioned, I would try clicking Start > Settings > System > Default apps tab

Under Photo viewer, change that to "Windows Photo Viewer"

If that doesn't work;

I'm guessing you've tried the Windows "Refresh" option?

Hey iPwn nice to see you. Ah no I haven't tried doing a "refresh". I think I might wipe it and just reinstall Windows altogether.

Hey iPwn nice to see you. Ah no I haven't tried doing a "refresh". I think I might wipe it and just reinstall Windows altogether.

Typically I don't trust Windows' ability to fix itself, but the refresh option I have used in 10 on my son's laptop and it actually worked (I'll admit that might be a fluke though! ha). It also allows you to keep all the installed programs so you save a bit of time in the re-install process.

Back
Top Bottom