Windows 10 and ATI 4870

I'm using an older AMD HD card in a Dell desktop and works fine. Generally Windows 10 will download drivers from Windows Updates that are good enough for general use and to make the computer work.

Windows Update doesn't install generic drivers! It tries to find official drivers. If both steps fail, then you have to change OS or card.

That's right. Windows doesn't install generic drivers but instead has certain drivers that Microsoft has verified as WHQL which is Microsoft's seal of approval that they work on Windows.

The WDDM version has to be 1.1 I think. Check yourself just to be sure.

1- Windows Key + R
2- Type "dxdiag" in the box
3- The compatible driver can be found in one of the tabs. I don't remember which one, but it's there.

O.K. WDDM shows as 1.1 .

Thank you for your help. I'm totally lost. It would be easier to get a $50 video card than to continue to argue. Again, thanks for your help but I'm calling this POST quits.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Try getting drivers from here leshcatlabs.net - Your community for modded AMD Catalyst and Intel Graphics drivers.. They are altered AMD drivers with tweaks.

If I read it right, drivers support 5000 series and higher.

Thanks for helping. As mentioned above. I give up. No more arguing for me.

I didn't know we were arguing [emoji14]

Seems your GPU is compatible.

What's the problem you are trying to solve? Have you tried the method I posted above?

Don't give up yet. I have a +10 year old computer with an ATI/AMD HD 3780 X2 on a 1511 Windows 10 OS (I thinks that's the second build) and I managed to run it as intended. I think I'm using an old customized driver since latest ones dropped support. I never connect it to the internet and manage it some other ways when I have to so newer nonsupporting drivers don't find their way thru automatic Windows Update.

I put it at my cousin's home next city where we gather to play games on it so I can't check right now. Just yesterday we played Trackmania on it for hours and it ran very well. But my point is that if the 3780 X2 worked, there is a chance your 4870 works too, hopefully if newer Win 10 builds doesn't screw it even further.

Back
Top Bottom