Windows 10

resurrecting this thread although I have nothing new to report on Windows 10 I had an update at the beginning of January but it wasn't a major build update. I'm still on build 7879. But I am buying a new laptop from Dell. It will have a UEFI bios and an internal hard drive. The laptop that I have now allows me to slip the hard drive out of side port and slip a diffeerent hard drive in. Because I didn't want Windows 10 evaluation to get mixed up with my Windows 8.1 I put 10 on a separate hard drive and I just swap the two hard drives over as and when. This new laptop will make that process much more difficult both because the hard drive is not so easily accessable and because of the UEFI bios that will only allow the OS that contains the embedded product number to work with the computer. I know that UEFI can be disabled but reading it up on the net it isn't as simple as that. We shall see, I will update this thread later.

Glad the thread is back. It's an interesting one.
I don't use Win10 anymore. I am back on Win8. But i like to keep up to date with you guys experience.

allows me to slip the hard drive out of side port and slip a diffeerent hard drive in
Nice. i have not seen a laptop with hot swap yet. It's a Lenovo or Dell, right?

Nice. i have not seen a laptop with hot swap yet. It's a Lenovo or Dell, right?

It's not a hot swap Biker. I have to turn the laptop off then swap the drives over and start again. But because the hard drive comes out of a panel at the side of the laptop and that panel is attached to the hard drive as long as I leave the two securing screws out I can easily swap hard drives. It's a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Nothing special but Dell do some good prices on bog standard lappys and desktops and their collect and return repair policy is second to none IMO.

It will certainly be interesting to see if Microsoft allows free upgrades for Windows 8 users.

That would be very, very stupid of them. That'd be like giving Windows 7 users free upgrades to 8, or Vista users free upgrades to 7.

That would be very, very stupid of them. That'd be like giving Windows 7 users free upgrades to 8, or Vista users free upgrades to 7.

Well if Microsoft want their users to use the latest OS then they need to do what their competitors have done.

Well they didn't give me a free upgrade when I beta tested Win 8. They allowed me to buy Win 8 cheap. I think I paid £25 for it. nothing has been said about Win 10 and there are other things to take into consideration such as UEFI bios although that isn't insurmountable.

I think i have read somewhere that it's gonna be free for Windows 8 users.
It has definitely been rumored.

Back
Top Bottom