Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Win7 OS installation never gets past loading

So, I have a laptop that hangs when I try to install Windows 7. BIOS will boot from the disk and you will see the Win7 loading screen but it never gets past the initial load, meaning it doesn't even load the interface to begin the installation. It's not completely frozen as it displays the loading animation. I have tried formatting the hard drive (using another computer), burning a new installation disk, using USB to install, removing all but 1 RAM stick cycling through all of them, and I am out of ideas. Does anybody know what is causing this and how to fix? Thanks in advance!

Gmork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Win7 OS installation never gets past loading

1. Check the BIOS to see if the floppy drive is enabled. If it is, disable it. Retry the installation.
2. If the above doesn't work (or the setting doesn't exist) try going into the bios and setting the Harddrive to IDE mode (not AHCI), or if it's already set to IDE, try setting it to AHCI.

Is it a new laptop? Tried another hard drive?

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
1. Check the BIOS to see if the floppy drive is enabled. If it is, disable it. Retry the installation.
2. If the above doesn't work (or the setting doesn't exist) try going into the bios and setting the Harddrive to IDE mode (not AHCI), or if it's already set to IDE, try setting it to AHCI.

Is it a new laptop? Tried another hard drive?
Floppy drive is not enabled. The hard drive is SATA and is set properly in BIOS. I don't have another hard drive to try in the laptop. The hard drive can be detected by my desktop (partitioned it). BIOS (laptop) can detect my hard drive, so I don't think it's a connection issue. The laptop is not new.

The original issue that made me reinstall windows is that when booting up it would take about 10 minutes to fully start. Minor tasks such as right clicking the desktop and pulling up the start menu would take minutes to accomplish, and opening programs about 5 to 10 minutes. I said screw it and just decided to reformat and reinstall windows, but the windows installation seems to have the same issue.

I'm going to see if I can get windows installed on the hard drive by using my desktop. This should determine whether it's a hard drive problem or not. Although, I've never heard of a hard drive failing and causing a bottle-neck like this so it would be interesting.

It seems to me like a hardware failure.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Certainly sounds like a hard drive problem to me!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
Beta Member

CHANGE THE BIOS SETTING TO DEFAULT then TRY AGAIN.
If still not installing
Remove the HD from PC then try installing again, if it skips to next screen of installation menu then there's problem with HD.
Perform DEFAULT FORMAT to HD

Lhakpa's iPhone
Lhakpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Certainly sounds like a hard drive problem to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhakpa View Post
CHANGE THE BIOS SETTING TO DEFAULT then TRY AGAIN.
If still not installing
Remove the HD from PC then try installing again, if it skips to next screen of installation menu then there's problem with HD.
Perform DEFAULT FORMAT to HD

Lhakpa's iPhone
Thank you! Removing the hard drive fixed it.