Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
In Runtime
Default Win 7 + old HP = no sound

Hello everyone. I have an old HP that needed an overhaul in a bad way. It had the same install of XP on it since we got it...like...5 years ago. Very cluttered...lots of unused junk...malware running rampant...etc. I put Win 7 Ultimate on it and now the sound doesn't work. The sound card drivers say they intall fine, say they're up to date and show up in the device manager accordingly but, in the bottom right corner on the speaker icon there is a red circle with a white x in it. When I click it, it starts troubleshooting (which never works with windows...ever...lol) and, when I right click it to select the desired playback device, it says "no audio devices are installed."

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried uninstalling the hardware and reinstalling it 15 different ways using I don't know how many different drivers. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated as, short of using some external means, I have no clue what to do at this point. Thanks!

Rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Win 7 + old HP = no sound

Did you try the Audio Driver for Vista?

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Update HP Pavilion Slimline s7517c Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Team

did you try to run windows update? Some times this will install the sound drivers
My Info :Ex-Owner of Computer Forums .org -- CCA in Citrix Presentation Server 4 + 5 + Xenserver 5.5
Site Info
: Free System Recovery Disk - Latest Articles - Latest Posts - Site Rules
More Info
: If you have any Questions Send Me A PM
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
In Runtime

Yes, I have tried both of those ideas already. I just tried that driver again and I get the same thing I got every time: "Your system does not meet the requirements. Error 9998." Something to that effect.

I've tried windows update, the xp driver, the vista driver and the win 7 driver and none of them work. PnP works if you go by what the device manager says. Says it installs and works fine in there but, in the tray it says "no audio output device is installed" when you mouse over the speaker and when you go to select the output device.
Rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Maby it would just been a good idea to downgrade to winods XP or 2000 as your HP simply cannot take the strain with everything running at once,
moonpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm

According to HP's website, there are no sound drivers for windows 7, and it appears that windows vista would only support 32-bit. If you are using 64-bit windows, you might be out of luck unless you can find some on here: Realtek
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Baseband Member
Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy28092

1 thing i have tried and it works sometimes and sometimes not is extracting the driver to a folder and going to device manager and installing the driver manually. I have had the xp or vista driver work on old systems sometimes. make sure it is the correct driver though as it could give you blue screens if it is not. if your not really tech savy make sure to create a backup 1st so you can use go back if needed.

If I have Helped you in anyway pls + rep me thank you

SYSTEM:amd phenom II 955 BE, 4 gigs of DDR3 cas 6 RAM, ASUS m478t-e, OCZ vertex 2 80 gig SSD, 1.5TB western digital caviar black, seasonic 650 watt gold certified fully modular psu, 2x HD4870 in crossfire X, coolermater HAF932, coolermaster V6 cpu cooler
jeremy28092 is offline   Reply With Quote