Will you upgrade to Win 10?

Will you upgrade to Win 10?

• Total voters

strollin

Knowitall!
As the poll question asks, will you upgrade?

I have been testing Win 10 since the Technical Previews were first made available and think it's an Ok OS (not great, just Ok) but have no plans to upgrade any of my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines. They are currently working fine and I see no advantage to putting Win 10 on them. I don't care that the upgrade is free.

I won't install Win 10 until I build or buy a new machine.

Last edited:
As the poll question asks, will you upgrade?

I have been testing Win 10 since the Technical Previews were first made available and think it's an Ok OS (not great, just Ok) but have no plans to upgrade any of my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines. They are currently working fine and I see no advantage to putting Win 10 on them. I don't care that the upgrade is free.

I won't install Win 10 until I build or buy a new machine.

Couple of problems I can see. If you upgrade later (a year after Win 10 has been offered as a freeby) you will have to pay for it. If you do upgrade on July 29th and subsequently your HDD goes down how do you reinstall Win 10 without having to pay for it. I am hoping that Microsoft put a downloadable ISO on their site like they have with Win 8

I have just had, presumably, the last technical preview update (10130) before Win 10 goes proper live and to be honest I am not going to "upgrade" if this is the way it will finally pan out. I have had the technical previews of Win 10 on one of my computers since the first one and so far I am not impressed, so much so that if after Win 10 Microsoft stop supporting win 7 and 8 I will go over to Linux.

Since it's free, and it's kind of inevitable that I will have to move to it eventually, I'll be putting it onto my secondary rig immediately to get some testing in (I used the tech preview but REALLY early on, it didn't even have flash support capability then) and if Im all good i'll put my main rig over.

Windows 7 support cycle will end pretty soon, and since they've already cut off windows 8 pretty quickly with Windows 10, I suspect we'll all have to be on win10 to be in-support after not too long.

It's free and it has DX12. I am absolutely upgrading. Once I see how it performs and read some reviews I'll definitely be moving my main rig to 10. I'll get a nice new 500gb Samsung 850 evo and clean install 10 on that. Running Vista currently so its definitely time to upgrade. As for my laptop I plan to take advantage of the upgrade. I think it will be a pretty solid OS.

It's free and it has DX12. I am absolutely upgrading. Once I see how it performs and read some reviews I'll definitely be moving my main rig to 10. I'll get a nice new 500gb Samsung 850 evo and clean install 10 on that. Running Vista currently so its definitely time to upgrade. As for my laptop I plan to take advantage of the upgrade. I think it will be a pretty solid OS.

HHMM it will be interesting to see how you will do a clean install especially with UEFI bios becoming more and more widespread. I'm not saying you wont be able to do a clean install just that it will be interesting to see how it can be done. Keep us posted.

It's not going to be hard. Just pop in my new ssd, boot from it, install Windows 10 and boom. Done. Just gotta make sure all my D drive pathing is correct (steam library, itunes library, origin library) and reinstall programs on the new drive and I'm up and running.

Yep okay that would work if you/we get an ISO download that can be put on a disk, SSD or otherwise. But I suspect that the Win 10 will come as an upgrade and we will need a valid copy of Win 7 or Win 8.1 before it will install.

Why don't I have the Get Windows 10 app?

1. Your device isn't up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
3. You've blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
4. Your device is not running genuine Windows.
Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues. Need more help? Go to our Windows Community Forum.

PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29, 2015. After July 29, 2015, we'll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC's compatibility if you choose.

That little lot might be a problem if a clean install of Win 10 is required. Again I'm not saying it cannot be done. I'm just not sure how at the moment.

the windows 10 app update was sent out to all Win7, 8 and 8.1 machines to offer the upgrade.

Microsoft know that some of us like to build our own PCs, therefore I can pretty much guarantee it will be available on a DVD from launch date (for the usual window prices, less for home versions more for pro).

I mean how stupid would it be if they made us buy windows 8 and install it, only to then have to upgrade to windows 10? Adding about 30 minutes to the already slow-compared-to-linux installation time of Windows, and making it hugely dependent on your internet connection.

The info you posted here is only relevant to the UPGRADE to Windows 10, it doesn't apply to the retail standalone versions of Win10

the windows 10 app update was sent out to all Win7, 8 and 8.1 machines to offer the upgrade.

Microsoft know that some of us like to build our own PCs, therefore I can pretty much guarantee it will be available on a DVD from launch date (for the usual window prices, less for home versions more for pro).

I mean how stupid would it be if they made us buy windows 8 and install it, only to then have to upgrade to windows 10? Adding about 30 minutes to the already slow-compared-to-linux installation time of Windows, and making it hugely dependent on your internet connection.

The info you posted here is only relevant to the UPGRADE to Windows 10, it doesn't apply to the retail standalone versions of Win10

Agreed. I haven't said it applies to retail versions. But there wont be many "ordinary" users going to pay out, (present price is mooted to be 80 odd English pounds but that will spiral,) for Win 10 when Microsoft is giving it away for free. I will not be buying a copy of Windows 10 after using the technical preview for a good number of months. I am not impressed by it and if Microsoft stop support for Win 8 then I would seriously consider using Linux. Obviously at some point my present computer will pack up and I will have to buy a new one with Win 10 already installed or I will buy one with no OS and install Linux. Until then I am quite happy with Win 8.1 enhanced with Classic Shell and would not be prepared to pay for Win 10.

Poll answer = no.

Next question; How do I get the !@#$% icon out of my system tray w/o disabling all further notices that use the same code?

Back
Top Bottom