Will this fix my BSOD?

Cosmos1

Solid State Member
My dad gave me an old computer that was sitting in his garage. Its a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP. It has a blue screen of death with the error code:
0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8974F458, 0xc0000102, 0x000000 ). It goes to the blue screen basically no matter what. If it makes a difference, the message on the blue screen specifically said:

" Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

Should I just get a new hard drive? :confused:

Might not be a dead harddrive.
It could just be a corrupted file. The error code tells me it has something to do with the file system.

You might be able to fix it what that chkdsk /f command. Are you able too boot into safe mode?

I will recommend a full reinstall. When you get a computer from someone it's a good idea to do.
Removes all the junk they have on it.

When I try to boot with safe mode, a bunch letters/numbers pop up, then it goes back to the blue screen. So no, safe mode doesn't do anything. What do you mean by full reinstall? Of what?

Of Windows. As in find the Windows CD, boot from it and install Windows again.

Or, if you don't have the Windows CD anymore, there are any number of Linux distributions you can download and try for free.

If you have another system you can download create a diagnostic boot cd for that HD Just search for HD diagnostic for whatever Hard Drive manufacturer the tool may be able to repair the Drive as well..

Check the product key sticker on the computer, and see if it's Home Edition or Professional. Then you'll need to find or create an install CD for the appropriate version.

You'll also need to make sure you get an OEM copy. That's the type that comes preinstalled on computers like the one you have, and it will accept your product key.

If you can't find the CD, you can download an image file for one on the internet and burn a copy. We're not really supposed to talk about how to go about doing that on here, due to the questionable legality. But, if you can find a copy, and you use your legitimate product key that you have, you'll have a fresh legal install. Only other option might be to try out linux, like was suggested. Ubuntu is a good one.

I wouldn't even bother with Windows XP as it is so outdated. Finding a legal download of Windows XP is really impossible now as Microsoft no longer supports it and no computer technician can download a copy of the OS anymore on Microsoft's Tech Net. I do suggest trying to find a third party hdd diagnostic as I doubt you can get into Windows to check it properly. If the hdd checks out use Linux instead.

The most use friendly OS for Linux that I have found is PCLinuxOS and it is a rolling distribution instead of a static one which requires making a new disk when the OS is renewed and it also is completely free. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom