Why would you do an in-place/repair install on Vista and Windows 7 ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
With XP you might do a repair install when you cant boot using the XP DVD. from the DVD menu you can do an in place upgrade so you wouldn't loose any data and programs.

Now vista and 7 both have the upgrade option but ONLY when you run the DVD from the operating system.

Now what I dont understand is where previously when you could not boot XP you would do a repair install. But with windows Vista and 7 you can no longer do this as you need to boot to be able to do a repair install.

So my question is why would you need to do a repair install in windows Vista and 7 ?

Surely its not any use to anyone if you have to be in the operating system to be able to complete it ???, if you can get in the OS why would you need to do a repair install ???

Windows has many files that can be corrupted by dodgy installs, and things like file extensions can be corrupted and default drivers corrupted. Quite often, after a PC is cleaned after having malware, various system files and extensions have been damaged or lost, so a repair from inside the OS can be used to repair this damage. The computer will boot, but you'll be getting error messages and occasionally BSODs.

Right I see, just does not seem logical to make you boot into the system to do a repair install. They should have taken windows XP's idea but i suppose they have launched startup repair.

Back
Top Bottom