Why transferring files to USB Flash Drive so slow?

ok hang on ... um what do you mean generate a report? And how do i paste it here?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

No not tried the network yet, will do tomorrow. Been busy

The network method won't work if your ultimate goal is to get the files in the flash drive. Have you tried formatting to NTFS (remember formatting erases all your information)?

On speccy, go to File -> Save as Text File. Then paste it here (only the first part, till you get to operating system, we don't need to know the other stuff) using code tags please.

Ok so you mean this?

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 32 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0R64DJ (CPU)
Graphics
ASUS VH242H (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel G41 Express Chipset (Dell)
Intel G41 Express Chipset (Dell)
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20PURX-64P6ZY0 ATA Device (SATA ) 36 °C
931GB ASMT 2115 USB Device (USB (SATA) ) 31 °C
250GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio

Even the Win10 computer is rather old. You can't expect to get high speeds with USB 2.0 flash drives.

Ultimately the bottleneck will be the flash drive itself, so the computer won't make much difference.

Are you trying to copy files larger than 4GB? As iPwn said, FAT32 can't store files larger than this in the best case scenario (if your block size is small, the limit is actually 2GB). So if you are trying to copy files larger than 2GB, format to NTFS, then copy again and be patient.

Edit: I was wrong, it doesn't have anything to do with block size. Apparently in Windows XP the maximum file size for FAT32 should be 4GB. Nevertheless, you should be using NTFS.

Last edited:
Yes I'd like to copy about 103GB files over. I was copying from an ext. hdd to the flash drive via w10, (and XP). But both were slow. I need to check but I think it copied more than 4GB but won't go any further. I'll try formatting to NTFS though.

That's not what we said. We said "files larger than 4GB". That means if an individual file is larger than 4GB it can't be stored in FAT32, it doesn't matter how much you are copying in total.

That's not what we said. We said "files larger than 4GB". That means if an individual file is larger than 4GB it can't be stored in FAT32, it doesn't matter how much you are copying in total.

Right thanks.

I tried formatting it to NTFS but an error message came up. So now the flash drive is an exFat and I'm copying as we speak and so far it seem to be working. :)

Something happened during the night (don't know what) and had to restart the computer this morning so restart the copying, but it says it copied 375 files out of 488.
It's still slow. At the moment it says it'll take more than a day.

Slow and steady is... infuriating! The thing about working with older gear - stuff takes so long.

Lol thanks everyone for your help.

If I was to get a new machine, would it really be much faster; if so, by just how much faster can it get? What should you look for? Or maybe this ought to be a new thread?

Back
Top Bottom