Why transferring files to USB Flash Drive so slow?

hundredpercent

Solid State Member
I have a new 249GB Fat32 flash drive and I used it on XP and w10 and both times I tried to transfer 103GB files to it. But on either OS, it's extremely slow. Using either explorer or teracopy, both say it'll take anything from about 3 hours to about 149 days but it changes.

I'm patient and waited three days and finally XP claimed it had finished. But when I took the drive to w10, only the original files I first managed to copy, were on it, (about 5.43GB worth). I just tried again on w10 and this time nothing else copied. Except for the extreme slowness, it looks as if teracopy is working normally. There are no error messages so what could be going on?

What connection are you using?

USB 2.0 is pretty slow and you also have to take into account the quality of your drive. For me, transfer rates rarely go above 6MB/s, and that's for large files. If there are lots of smalls files, I get about 1MB/s.

You'd be better off using an external HDD. I usually get 30MB/s using USB 2.0.

Agreed if it's a Win XP era device it'll probably be a maximum of USB2.0 or more likely USB1.1!

Could you transfer the files over the network if both devices are located locally?

Hi thanks for replying.

AMD man: Not sure what the connection is. I know the XP comp was built as such so I guess it's the lowest one, 1.0? And the w10 is refurbished and sold as w10 but I use to run w7 on it.

Xinam: Would you mind explaining how to transfer over network. I've never did it before. Yes both comps are near each other.

Easiest would be to drag files into a shared folder on the XP machine, then find that folder on the network on the 10 machine. Transfers could still take a while, depending on the network environment.

Agree with AMD_man, find an easy to follow guide on the internet if you're unsure of what to do.

I just had a quick look and most of the info I've read so far describes only how to transfer files from one computer to another. The thing is, I'd really prefer it on the flash drive. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom