Why can't I save to my C: drive?

gib88

Baseband Member
Hello,

I have Windows 10 and I would like to save files on my C: drive. I won't let me. It tells me I need elevated permissions to save to the C: drive even though I know I do. The only way I can save a file on the C: drive is if I open the program for the file (say Excel for a .xlsx file) as an administrator, open the file, then save it to the C: drive.

Hello,

I have Windows 10 and I would like to save files on my C: drive. I won't let me. It tells me I need elevated permissions to save to the C: drive even though I know I do. The only way I can save a file on the C: drive is if I open the program for the file (say Excel for a .xlsx file) as an administrator, open the file, then save it to the C: drive.

On the explorer you can right click the disk, properties, security tab, and allow full control for all users. For some reason Windows 10 considers you a regular user and not administrator by default. The other solution I found is using the built-in admin account. Kinda sucks because it doesn't let you log in with your Outlook account (not that it matters, really).

Setting full permissions on the C: drive for Everyone had an effect but not the desired one. I just get a different message now:

A required privilege is not held by the client.

(That's when saving a Notepad file).

Also, when it was applying the permissions to the C: drive and all subfolders, it failed for a few of them with the message:

An error occurred while applying security information to:

C:\$RECYCLE BIN

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I don't mind permissions failing to propagate to the recycle bin, but that wasn't the only one. Here's a list of all such folders/files that failed to inherit the permissions:

C:\Config.Msi
C:\Documents and Settings
C:\hiberfil.sys
C:\inetpub
C:\MSOCache
C:\pagefile.sys
C:\PerfLogs
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\ProgramData
C:\swapfile.sys
C:\System Volume Information
C:\Users
C:\Windows

Setting full permissions on the C: drive for Everyone had an effect but not the desired one. I just get a different message now:

A required privilege is not held by the client.

(That's when saving a Notepad file).

Also, when it was applying the permissions to the C: drive and all subfolders, it failed for a few of them with the message:

An error occurred while applying security information to:

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I don't mind permissions failing to propagate to the recycle bin, but that wasn't the only one. Here's a list of all such folders/files that failed to inherit the permissions:

C:\Config.Msi
C:\Documents and Settings
C:\hiberfil.sys
C:\inetpub
C:\MSOCache
C:\pagefile.sys
C:\PerfLogs
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\ProgramData
C:\swapfile.sys
C:\System Volume Information
C:\Users
C:\Windows

Did you try giving permissions for the specific folder you are trying to save in? Have you tried googling the problem? I've done it in the past and couldn't get a good answer. Maybe now there is a good answer out there. Applying permissions for each folder is a pain...

Back
Top Bottom