Why can't I download in any browser?

wilca428

Solid State Member
I can't download certain files in any browser. Downloads start, but then they often get stuck at 300-400 kb. Strange enougt some other files are ok. Eg. I can never download Java 64-version from filehippo.com, whereas CCleaner is good to go from filehippo.com

I have tried with IE, Firefox and chrome.
Connection is wireless
Tried with no firewall, no antivirusprogram.
My other computer (also wireless) downloads ok.
Tried different drivers to network adapter.
Everything else works great.

What can I do to get closer the solution?

Try booting the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and then download the problem file. Post back if that worked or not.

It is very nice of you to help me.

I tried safemode with networking. It did not solve the problem. Same result.

So at this point, we know that something is wrong with your computer, especially if it won't download in safe mode. Boot into regular safe mode, open a command prompt and type:

"chkdsk"

Allow this to finish. While I don't think anything with the harddrive will be causing your issue, it will make sure that the next step for sure corrects any issues. Once complete, again in the command prompt, type:

"sfc /scannow"

Hopefully that will find something wrong with the Windows installation and repair it. If not, then I would assume next that you have a pretty nasty virus. Boot into Safe Mode with networking once again and download and install MalwareBytes AntiMalware. If you can't download the program, then I would start the process of getting your data off the main harddrive and go through and reinstall Windows. It's a crappy situation to be in, and hopefully someone will come along with a better solution, but you may have something infecting the Windows installation at its core, hence the fail in safe mode.

You are great, iPwn!

"chkdsk" - disc ok.

"sfc /scannow" - found lots of problems and fixed them.

Same result. Still capable of downloading some files, for example MalwareBytes AntiMalware, but not others such as Foxit Reader or Java.

Ran MalwareBytes AntiMalware - clean.

Any more ideas?
My intuition says it could be something with the settings for the network adapter...

Typically with the network adapter, your settings allow you connection or not. They won't determine what type of files you can download. What version of IE do you have? Here's something else to try. Go to 2l13.com and use that to browse to the address of the Java download, whether that be from FileHippo or Java.com. This is a proxy server and will basically tell me if the issue is with your computer (which it probably is) or something else entirely. Also, if you have IE 9, you can pause and resume downloads. Try downloading a file, then when it gets stuck pause it and resume it. I've had (I still don't know why it happened in the first place) that work in the past.

Another question, is this only happening with large downloads?

Typically with the network adapter, your settings allow you connection or not. They won't determine what type of files you can download. What version of IE do you have? Here's something else to try. Go to 2l13.com and use that to browse to the address of the Java download, whether that be from FileHippo or Java.com. This is a proxy server and will basically tell me if the issue is with your computer (which it probably is) or something else entirely. Also, if you have IE 9, you can pause and resume downloads. Try downloading a file, then when it gets stuck pause it and resume it. I've had (I still don't know why it happened in the first place) that work in the past.

Another question, is this only happening with large downloads?

I have IE9. Pause and resume did not work for me.

Download under proxy-server (2l13.com) did not work.

Small files (around 800kb) or big files does not matter.

I have had no problems with browsing websites at all.

I also tried my network adapter with my other pc, which also has Windows 7 and the same drivers. That pc has no problems downloading.

corrupted file in OS

Happend to me on vista 2weeks ago, got this xp on, nothing wrong now..

I was downloading netframe... didn't work.. firefox wouldn't install, not everything downloaded either..

This was on windows vista 64bit my problems.. have you tried the repair disk

You've mentioned that you can't get 64-bit java from filehippo, but what about from java's website?

Also, I'd try following the directions and using the tool available here: A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

Thanks for you input celegorm! It's not possible from java's website either, maybe coincidence. Does combofix works as a complement for malwarebytes antimalware?

corrupted file in OS

Happend to me on vista 2weeks ago, got this xp on, nothing wrong now..

I was downloading netframe... didn't work.. firefox wouldn't install, not everything downloaded either..

This was on windows vista 64bit my problems.. have you tried the repair disk

AntDemo,
my discs are fine according to chkdsk.

Back
Top Bottom