Whats Linux Good For?

Linux is an operating system, it's good for operating your computer. I usually includes software for web surfing and word processing as well as much more.

Most linux distros are develepoment oriented, but their are some geared toward normal use, web and word processing like you said.

If you want to game, get windows.

In my opinion, Linux (depending on the distribution) will do pretty much everything Windows does except games. And it's free. Ok, there are games for Linux and there are ways to get some Windows games to run in Linux, but not easily. Oh yeah, if you go to any websites that specifically need Internet Explorer to run properly, you're pretty much screwed...

Depending on which emulator you mean, they wont necessarily work with Linux. Some make the web server think that the client is using Internet Explorer (That would work with linux), but some actually render the content using IE, and since you cant run IE on linux, that doesnt really work ;)

You can install IE on linux: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux

However unless it's critical you see what sites look like on old versions of IE or you have to regularly visit websites that have been written in the worst way possible, I'd steer clear!

Linux isn't great for gaming, but it's good for about everything else and does a heck of a lot WAY better than windows does. Pretty much everything gets installed via a package manager so you can upgrade everything on your system with a single click. Windows has nothing like that on the roadmap. Creating a server and don't want anything graphical to start up unless you ask it to (to save resources?) no problem. Think aeroglass looks good? Wait until you see compiz. Oh, and there's no pointless rebooting every few seconds, the file systems are all self defragmenting (catch up Microsoft) and these days, driver support is pretty damn good. And in linux world, we're happily ignoring Vista's stupid requirements and imposing far more sensible ones, which can be done pretty easily because it's efficient, reliable and is ignoring all the DRM crap.

Guess what I run? :)

Back
Top Bottom