Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
In Runtime

Exclamation What is really so bad about Windows Me?

I have a computer running Windows Me and it runs fine, and hasn't crashed yet. I found that computer lurking in my basement, somewhere were I didn't find it until four weeks ago. I can run quite a few programs and Me won't crash or give me an error message.

My Copy is fully updated, and has an anti-virus software running on it. Is mine so good because I updated it? Or am I just lucky?

BTW, if you have NOT fully updated your copy of Windows Me, I suggest you do so now. Even though support for Windows Me has ended, what ever updates that where released can still be downloaded.

So, what do you think is so bad about it?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas
Default Re: What is really so bad about Windows Me?

I dunno what the deal is, I used it for a while, going from Windows 98 SE, and I liked it a lot. I could use my flash drives and mp3 player with it like I couldn't with 98.
Used it for about, eh, 15 months and then bought a copy of XP, played with Windows 2000 a bit, and now I've got Windows 7 and I'm still wondering why people suck their breath in when Windows ME is mentioned.

http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
The_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

For me, it was the crashes. I would say that you're pretty lucky if you've had yours up and running for so long without, but when I had ME, it would BSOD just about every other day. Maybe I was doing something wrong :S or maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't update it.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectionZero View Post
For me, it was the crashes. I would say that you're pretty lucky if you've had yours up and running for so long without, but when I had ME, it would BSOD just about every other day. Maybe I was doing something wrong :S or maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't update it.
Well, every month I would run an upgrade using the CD and I guess that's what kept it in shape
Quote:
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

When i had ME (about 1999/2000? i was about 6 or 7) i used to play alot of games ( i started early ^_^) and i had a reasonably powerful GPU for the time (64MB VRAM ftw!) and it pretty much refused to play most games, and the graphics drivers which worked fine with 98 SE had me BSOD'ing after a while of use every time.

this sums up the public reception of 'Me' quite well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Windows Me was criticized by users for its instability and unreliability, due to frequent freezes and crashes. A PC World article dubbed Windows Me the "Mistake Edition" and placed it 4th in their "Worst Tech Products of All Time" feature.[31] "Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000", the article states, "users reported problems installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or software, and getting it to stop running."

The System Restore feature sometimes ended up restoring malware which the user had previously removed, since its method of keeping track of changes is fairly simplistic.[32] By disabling System Restore, the malware could be removed, but the user lost all saved restore points.

System Restore also suffered from a bug in the date-stamping functionality that may cause System Restore to date-stamp snapshots that are taken after 8 September 2001 incorrectly. This can prevent System Restore from locating these snapshots and can cause the system restore process to fail. Microsoft released an update to fix this problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

If it works, good for you! But it is generally accepted that Windows ME is probably the worse OS ever released by Microsoft. A lot of compatibility was lost. I even had software that worked fine on Windows 98se and Windows XP but was not ME compatible.
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
Baseband Member

After reading words Windows ME I stopped it, its really failed release of MS, just use XP
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Beta Member

It's not a lucky draw that you are lucky to have a lucky copy of Windows ME. It might be because of the difference between hardware; RAM, cache and processing power etc. Otherwise, it's also possible that the slow computer has got its Windows corrupted or is full of viruses. Try installing a fresh copy of Windows Me on the slow computer and then compare the processing speed of both ones assuming they have same speed processors. interactive intelligence
My PC Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
After reading words Windows ME I stopped it, its really failed release of MS, just use XP

depends on the system. A WinME machine probably wouldnt provide a pleasurable experience of XP. better off running 98SE on any legacy machine from the time.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
depends on the system. A WinME machine probably wouldnt provide a pleasurable experience of XP. better off running 98SE on any legacy machine from the time.
I beg to differ. I had XP running just fine on a 300 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM with a resolution of 1024x768. Depends all on what you've got running on it.
imo Windows 2000 was worse than ME program compatibility-wise until SP3 or SP4.

Quote: