What programs are using my device?

thatguy512

Baseband Member
Hey computer fourms,

I was wondering is there a way to figure out what programs/processes are using my external hard drive so i can safely disconnect it without having to shut off the computer?

Any information regarding this topic is welcome.

Thanks

Down by the clock there is a 'safely remove' green arrow. Click on it and you'll be able to remove it. Also typically if you have nothing opened on the computer then nothing is using it. Do you just use if for file storage? If so, as long as you're not accessing those files, you should be fine.

Down by the clock there is a 'safely remove' green arrow. Click on it and you'll be able to remove it. Also typically if you have nothing opened on the computer then nothing is using it. Do you just use if for file storage? If so, as long as you're not accessing those files, you should be fine.
lol I know how to disconnect stuff and the thing is,i'm not accessing any files but it still says it's in use when i'm not using it.

You're not sharing any folders on the external drive, are you?
Nope,not sharing a thing.
Only thing i use mt external hard drive is for watching videos(i close WMP when done) and backuping files.( i don't use a program for backing up.All done manually)

Open up the Run... dialogue and run diskmgmt.msc. Right click on your external drive and try clicking on "Eject" if it's not greyed out.

Back
Top Bottom