What is a kernal?

The "kernel" is the main part of the OS that controls hardwares once you are past the initial post tests performed by the bios. One of the main reasons Vista is seen as more stable then XP was the method MS used for extracting various processes from the kernel and seeing them become user defined.

The big gain now seen over both XP and Vista is due primarily to the refinement now being seen in the Windows 7 kernel based on Vista's. That allows for the use of Vista device drivers on the upcoming version while seeing a drastic reduction of what is termed "bloat".

Linux and other OSs use their own type of kernel there. For both OSs the two links here will give you a good description for each.

For MS Windows, http://what-is-what.com/what_is/microsoft_windows.html

For Linux:

What is kernel?

The kernel is a program that constitutes the central core of a computer operating system. It has complete control over everything that occurs in the system.

A kernel can be contrasted with a shell (such as bash, csh or ksh in Unix-like operating systems), which is the outermost part of an operating system and a program that interacts with user commands. The kernel itself does not interact directly with the user, but rather interacts with the shell and other programs as well as with the hardware devices on the system, including the processor (also called the central processing unit or CPU), memory and disk drives http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/basics.htm#What_is_kernel

ok, thanks alot, you answered alot of my questions..

but one more question while i'm here.. what does the bios do?

is it a code for leagal purposes or what exactly?

Hope u don't mind me answering...

Its the Basic Input/Output System...

"The initial function of the BIOS is to identify, test, and initialize system devices such as the video display card, hard disk, and floppy disk and other hardware. "

umm u can change settings in here as well. Like the boot order/sequence of the computer, change the system time stuff like that and etc...

That's precisely what it is a method of controlling all basic inputs like ps/2, serial, parallel, I/O, usb ports as well as managing voltages for hardwares like the cpu, memory, video card slots, pci expansion slots, etc. along with maintaining user defined settings and the time/date information.

The bios also looks for the boot device reading the mbr information in order to start the boot loader. That also sees options for different hardware modes along enabling or disabling things automatically or by user manually defined settings like those who oc the cpu and/or memory.

Back
Top Bottom