What exactly is Longhorn bringing to the table?

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I mean other than the fact it's 64-bit, what is different about it, what does it have that XP doesn't, etc. I just wanna get some info on it since I don't really know anything other than it's 64-bit.

It used to have WinFS, an indexing filesystem based on XML which was sure to bring serious improvements, but they got rid of that. Oh, it does have the nifty new 3D GUI. Avalon is what they call it. I'm not so sure how it's going to work, though. If you really want to get a good idea of what it's going to be like, you could go snag a copy of the beta that's been floating around since god knows when.

Honestly, though, it's not really that impressive.

too be honest. What can a new OS give us, THAT WE NEED? Why bother ..heh

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, I mean other than the 64-bit thing, which is cool, I really don't see how it is supposed to differentiate from xp other than maybe the layout or something.

Actually, Avalon is out as well i believe... In any case i dont really think much of longhorn. After all, to quote a Microsoft OS developer, Longhorn is merely Windows XP with some improvements. No big deal.

Cocks?

Longhorn will have WinFS. In time, its not worth pushing back Longhorn for it and its not worth pulling it out completely - so it will be released at a later date. If indeed, its not released with Longhorn at the end.

Security Updates will range on the success of SP2; with more of the sort of efforts which brought out Microsoft Anti-Spyware. With a superior Firewall and more integrated Anti-Virus Protection possibilities for Developers who sell Anti-Virus Protection.

The 3D GUI; is great. Its not 3D... but its damn good nonetheless. Graphical Updates ranging from new icons for everything, based on more dynamic images for superior stretching to vast improvements in movements - taking on great improvements from Graphics Technology which we all saw, I presume, when Microsoft showed off a newer Digital Image Suite with Longhornesque Graphics.

Again, superior Networking and Internet Capabilities - which we're all waiting for from Internet Explorer! :D Which is going to have to be damn good to beat Firefox with the growing support it is getting. Possiblity MSN Explorer-like in programming and design; but less MSN based to stop the federals from pulling Anti-Trust on them. Obviously MSN will be working on a Toolbar of sorts for this new Internet Explorer - probably now :D They may be helping with the Explorer themselves.

Vast improvements for Technological Advances for Developers, Media Player Technologies, Integrated Searches like MSN Desktop Search, Outlook Express advances.

And so on... and so on and so on and so on....

It's confirmed that Longhorn will NOT have WinFS... As for the supposed 3D features, its not really 3D like Project Looking Glass. Lastly, iI think the most important point that Microsoft will have to address is the security issue. It might look "pretty", but its really of no consequence if the security of the OS is as atrocious as that of Win XP.

Back
Top Bottom