What Is The Best Free OS For Desktop Machines

I like windows

Can you get Windows free?

Yea, i recently put Ubuntu on a Flash drive that I take to work, it works like magic from the Flash drive. However, in terms of stability, be careful when you update. I've had devices stop working after an update. They do a 6 month release schedule and in 6 months, they release. If it breaks your stuff, "sorry". If you want stability without the ease of use, you go Debian. Ubuntu is based off of Debian too. You won't get the nice fonts, and pretty UI, but you can feel good about updating. Actually i still hold my breath, but at least i'm not terrified that my OS will change to a freakin' unicorn when I perform an update.

The reason that I'm so impressed is that I've been through 10.04 LTS, 10.10, and 11.04 with countless update and no problems. I remember, years ago, updating Windows 2000, now that was scary! Ubuntu has gained my complete confidence. Of course, with the practically infinite combinations of available hardware it is amazing that any operating system is reliable.

Fedora 15 if you are looking for something that has a lot of the features windows 7 has to offer. Just came out TODAY and runs on the new GNOME 3.0

Check it out here: FedoraProject.org

Back
Top Bottom