Weird CPU Usage/Wifi Problem

guitardude777

In Runtime
I have an asus eee pc that is running windows xp, and I'm having a very annoying wifi related problem. When I connect to my wifi at home, the cpu usage on the eee pc is completely fine, but when I connect to the wifi at my college, the cpu usage is a constant 70-100%. If I open the task manager to see what's using all of the cpu, it shows that everything is using basically 0% of the cpu (even when i check "show processes from all users"). I'm thinking this could be a driver related problem? I've updated the wireless driver, but maybe I need to change some settings? Just in case you guys are wondering what my wifi device settings are, I will just list them all:

802.11b Preamble: Long and Short
Map Registers: 256
MFP: disable
Power Save Legacy Algorithm: PS non Poll
Power Save Mode: Normal
Power Save Policy (Background): Legacy Power Save
Power Save Policy (Best Effort): Legacy Power Save
Power Save Policy (Video): Legacy Power Save
Power Save Policy (Voice): Legacy Power Save
Radio On/off: On
Scan Valid Interval: 60

Anyone have an ideas on how to fix this, even a hunch maybe?

I honestly don't know why this would happen, but... here's something to at least point you in the direction of finding out what's using the connection. Next time you connect to your college wifi, open a command prompt and type "netstat -b". This will list out the various programs that are using the connection and may provide insight into which program is causing the high CPU usage.

The high cpu usage problem randomly went away, but now it's the hard drive that's going crazy. And, again, this only happens when connected to my college's wireless network. Anyone have ideas why it's exclusive to this network? I'm going to try completely disabling avast tomorrow to see if that does anything, but I doubt it will b/c I tried it when I was having the cpu issue and it did nothing.

Back
Top Bottom