Warning

I don't believe for one second your drive crashed because of a simple update download. If it's like you describe and a lot of others are having the same problem how come it hasn't made CNN news?

Yeah I agree with Seti. I've seen updates cause problems that simply getting into safe mode and running a system restore can fix but doubt that an update caused hardware related problems.

You can't get into safe mode as using a disc doesn't work in Win 8.1 only Win 8 so you'd need a bootable USB How to Create a Recovery Drive on a USB Memory Stick in Windows 8 & 8.1

Boot from a System Recovery CD/DVD - works only in Windows 8

In Windows 8, but not in Windows 8.1, you can create a system recovery CD or DVD. - 5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1 - #5

No. I'm from West Virginia. Just living here right now.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Well, that is exactly how it happened. After the automatic updates, it crashed. Never got to even go back to homepage. Won't go to Recovery either. Doesn't matter. i'm selling it to a friend for $50. and going back to an Android tablet. No Windows bullshit to deal with.

I see. I asked because I think Boston-ian accent is cool.

As for the topic, I had the same problem with my HP laptop. To solve it, I downloaded all drivers separately, re-partitioned the HDD (later replaced it with SSD), and installed Win7 from scratch (OS was Win7 and now I upgraded it to Win10 successfully).

I used the activation key found on the sticker on the back. It is the incompetent HP backup system that caused this problem. The best way I can think of to counter this is to re-partition the HDD, get rid of the backup partition to avoid booting problems, and install Win8.1 with the drivers from HP website. That's if you are welling to lose the warranty, or if it is already passed.

Get a Win8.1 installation media of the same version (e.g. Pro x64), install it and use the activation key. It should work. For my Win7, I downloaded an official ISO from MS.

I suggest taking a system image (has to be in the root of another partition) of a the fresh installed Win8.1, upgrade to a clean Win10, and try the new Bitdefender. Then before updating Windows, disable on Win10 whatever Bitdefender provides; e.g. firewall and/or Windows Defender. If it fails again, use roll back to Win8.1 with the system image and install the drivers and other stuff.

The process could take so much time and effort. I recommend you start building experience starting with this one. We can help you here with every step.

Hi Smart Guy! Good stuff! However I'm thinking the OP is not interested and is selling his rig to his friend. I really like your idea of creating a system image that you can use if W10 fails again. If people would just make a image of their OS before jumping on this wonderful MS upgrade (that MS is giving away so you can find all their bugs for them) you wouldn't have this problem. You simply put your Macrium rescue disk in and boot into Macrium and restore your OS back before you ever heard of W10. I preach and preach to create back ups of your OS, but no one ever listens. It's so dang easy to do and a problem like the OP is having is solved in 30 minutes or less. OH well what the Hell, I'll keep preaching and hoping some one out there takes my advise and starts creating back ups of their OS.
Gary!
PS Very nice reply Smart Guy. I approve!! LOL

Donetao, you could slow down on formalities. "Hey, SG" is cool with me :D

Hmm... I thought selling the laptop for $50 seemed like sarcasm or a last resort. My HP laptop made me hate my life until I got rid of its backup system. Now with the generic installation and a generic system image (I use Win7 Backup System which is user friendly), I can still get something out of it. The only good thing I found in this laptop is the internal storage (2.5" drive) access bay. Minutes and the storage is removed. I got this laptop as a gift from my boss anyways :D

Hey SG! Not much scares me as I have Macrium Reflect always ready to restore me back if I really mess things Up. I also use the W7 back up feature, but I don't have a lot of faith in it. I know old Macrium will get me back up and running. It has in the past, many times and it will in the future!!
Gary!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Macrium is working right with you, it is wise to stick with it. I'm flexible and I use Acronis too. I started using Win7 backup specifically because it runs with the Win7 installation disk on boot and it's free. Lucky me it's working right with me.

The windows back up is another tool that could be very handy in a recovery. I use it because it's there and I might as well use it,as I have plenty of free space on my external!
Gary!!

Back
Top Bottom