Want to make a website, dont know where to start..

9white5

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I've got an idea for a website that I think would be really great, and I'd love to be able to create it, but I dont know what to get in terms of software etc. What are a few powerful website creating softwares? Is there anything I should know in advance?
Thanks!

I created my website using Wordpress. Although it is primarily a blog software, it can still be used to make great static websites. Lots of plugins and themes available. There are sites that handle all of the setup and hosting for you, but if you want to setup wordpress yourself, it's not too difficult with their 5 minute guide and some googling about. Joomla and Drupal are also popular options, but i'm less experienced with them.

Weebly is another one that is pretty easy to use and more designed for static websites, rather than blogs/message boards. They handle all of the hosting and setup for you. They offer a free plan and the paid plans are pretty reasonable.

If you're looking for a free domain name, check out Dot TK - Free Domains for All. Although, I'd recommend getting a real .com,.net,.org right off the bat. You don't want to be changing your name after your site takes off!

Hope that helps.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Easy_5_Minute_WordPress_Installation_on_Windows

http://www.weebly.com/

Last edited:
Thanks! Would those websites give me the means to do what I want?

My idea is basically a website where users can upload sample packs for free and others can download\rate them, so people would need to be able to create accounts, upload wav. or mp3 files, etc

You have to be careful with those one stop shops. If you get to the point you get insanely popular and need more room, you'll have to fork out cash to get it. Some you have ads plastered every where for them to get revenue. That compensates the host for the space on the server and the service. And be real leery of the ones that once you get set up and running, you no longer own the site. You just run it. What a rip...

Best is to get your own hosting and domain name. If you get hosting that offers Cpanel jump on it. Inside Cpanel is a boatload of simple to set up and use, software packages. Things like forums, blogs, and picture albums. Just to name a few. And you don't have to know how to install it. One button install and you're ready to set up shop.

I use www.downtownhost.com. Great service and a ridiculously cheap price. I have my domain names through GoDaddy.

Last edited:
Thanks! Would those websites give me the means to do what I want?

My idea is basically a website where users can upload sample packs for free and others can download\rate them, so people would need to be able to create accounts, upload wav. or mp3 files, etc

Wordpress has a feature for allowing user signups. I think that it might work for what you're trying to do but I'm not sure. Perhaps users can create an account and then make 'posts' to the site, attaching their packages to the posts. You'd have to play with it and see.

Back
Top Bottom