Want a bit of advice as to where to start on animation

thesobitor

Solid State Member
hello everybody

i think this is the right section to post to

i have a real interest in animation but i just dont no where to start or what to do
any tips aor forums or guides would be much appreciated

MANY THANKS
THE SOBITOR

Well are you aiming to go professional? Or cartoon?

For cartoons I use Toon Boom Studio. And if you want to go professional you can go with Maya or 3D Studio Max. 3DS Max and Maya are made by the same people, except Maya is favored amongst movie producer and 3DSMax is preferred for gaming producers however I don't think it matters much. If you just want to get a free piece of software that does the same things as 3DS Max and Maya then you can use Blender, which has some high reviews and is very good.

I've tried all of these, however I think they're all hard to use because I'm a 15 year old newb that's still learning :)

The other thing to keep in mind is hardware. If you want to get the most out of applications like that, you'll want something from nVidia and ATI's professional series of graphics cards. Yes, they cost more and are essentially the same hardware, it's just the drivers that are written differently (and to extremely tight specs for those apps). nVidia's Quadro and ATI's FirePro / FireGL cards are both equally impressive (Cost wise too!) but if you want to be serious about it, consider those into your plans as well.

Nope, I run consumer 3D cards and have ran 3D software for many years. You really do not need the professional level cards.
You need a pretty good card for pushing polys around and A LOT of system memory.
If you are going to be doing rendering, which I imagine you would be, you'll also need a pretty fast processor.

Back
Top Bottom