W2K Pro New Install

epihammer

Baseband Member
I picked up an older computer and installed W2K Pro and all went good until I tried to connect to the internet. The problem is as follows:

The browser (IE) says I'm off line but the Local Area Connection Status shows me as being online. I use a cable modem to access the internet just so you know and all the lights indicate that all is good.

Any insight would be great!!! If you need any more information just let me know.

Thanks,
The Hammer

First, make sure you have your connection set up right. Check to see the IP, Subnet, and Gateway are all correct. Try and ping a website like Google. That would at least tell you if your connection is working.

Tried That!!!!

Ok, I tried that and I was given the following response: Unknown Host

What should I try next :confused:

Any help on what this newbie should do next would be wonderful.

Thanks,
The Hammer
... :confused:

Thats an interesting problem maybe u should contact ur ISP or look at ur ISP's website to see if they have any information that could assist u.

I know it's not my provider because when I connect my other computer everything is fine. All I can guess is that it has something to do with the configuration of the ethernet on the motherboard. But like I said, I'm self taught and could be off in left field for all I know with my thinking?!

What I have figured out so far...

The IP Address being used is 169.254.67.252 which is the default address when a DHCP can't be achieved. I don't understand why this is happening?

There is no default gateway, it shows up blank. I don't understand why this is happening? Nor do I know how to fix this!!!!

I reinstalled the driver and still the same problem.

Where do I go from here?.... :confused:

Thanks,
The Hammer

This is what I have come up with so far:
1. I tried renewing the IP Address and was given this error: DHCP Server unreachable.
2. My network connection is set up to obtain an IP Address automatically.
3. When I have Windows try to detect Network Settings it tells me it Cannot find server or DNS error.
System Log
4. Type:Information - The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{#######} because a master browser was stopped.
5. Type:Information - Application popup: Windows-Driver Entry Point Not Found: The \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\DLKRTS.SYS device driver could not locate the entry point InterlockedPopEntrySList in driver ntoskrnl.exe.
Application Log
6. Unable to read IO control information from NBT device.

Any more direction would be great!!!!!

Thank You,
The Hammer

Here's the scoop!!!!!

I was finally able to get things up and running!!! I changed from a ethernet switch to a router and then registered my MAC address with my IP. This has allowed me to share the internet connection. I then was able to get my computers to find each other through a computer search but when trying to access them it would tell me that it could not find the path. I fixed this by using the same user and password on each computer. Now I can acces everything!!! :) I then set up netmeeting just for kicks and that works as well. :cool:
I appreciate ALL the assistance that everyone gave me.

Thank You,
The Hammer

Back
Top Bottom