Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Golden Master

Default VLC Player Useful Features

So I found this article with some great hidden features in VLC Player. I am interested in the screen recording, converting media files and using a scene from a video as your desktop 10 Useful Features Hidden in VLC, The Swiss Army Knife of Media Players

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: VLC Player Useful Features

Interesting article. I wasn't aware of a lot of those features in VLC even though I have used it as a media player for years.

strollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Omnicide now.

If you want to convert files, I recommend handbrake
It actually uses the vlc codecs,but gives you a much better interface with more options.

Windows also has a feature called "dreamscene" to run video files as you desktop background. You need to run a quick program to reenable it in windows seven, but it'll be fine after that. It's probably better than having an extra third party program running.

VLC is pretty well known for being able to do pretty much anything. However, there really isn't very much that it does well. Even video playback is mediocre quality, and the performance is pretty terrible compared to other programs.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Interesting article. I wasn't aware of a lot of those features in VLC even though I have used it as a media player for years.
Yes same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
If you want to convert files, I recommend handbrake
It actually uses the vlc codecs,but gives you a much better interface with more options.

Windows also has a feature called "dreamscene" to run video files as you desktop background. You need to run a quick program to reenable it in windows seven, but it'll be fine after that. It's probably better than having an extra third party program running.

VLC is pretty well known for being able to do pretty much anything. However, there really isn't very much that it does well. Even video playback is mediocre quality, and the performance is pretty terrible compared to other programs.
Ah ok, I've used other 3rd party converters but haven't used handbrake before.

Is dreamscene disabled by default in windows 7 but is included?

I like because it's better than Windows Media Player and you need to have multiple media players to play different files that another one can't. I've found some videos won't play the best.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Is dreamscene disabled by default in windows 7 but is included?
Pretty much. http://www.dreamsceneseven.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I like because it's better than Windows Media Player and you need to have multiple media players to play different files that another one can't. I've found some videos won't play the best.
Um, you actually use more than one player? Are you using some weird proprietary video format?

Try installing K-lite codec pack (do the standard version) and Media player classic (should be included.) I recommend setting it to use the MadVR renderer if your computer is powerful enough. Everything else should be fine left at default, unless you run into problems or feel like tinkering more. If you really find things it still can't play, try searching for a codec before using a bunch of random players.

EDIT: Here's a compatibility list for K-lite, just to give you an idea of what it supports.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote