VLC Media Player (Help and Discussion)

alucard10

Baseband Member
I would like to learn more about The VLC Media Player and solve some problems I have been encountering with the various versions of it.
Any help from VLC experts,hobbyist or knowledgeable people in general will be greatly appreciated.

Question #1
The first problem Im having is with the VLC Player on my Windows XP laptop.
When I try to stream(or copy) youtube videos on the VLC Player ,a thumbnail of the youtube video briefly appears at the bottom left corner of the vlc player then an error message appears and the video won't stream (This also happens when i try to copy the video).
Is there something wrong or does this VLC feature simply not work anymore?

Question #2
The next problem I have is with the VLC Android app I have on my new samsung android 7 phone.
When I go into the directory's to brows and play videos from the folders on my 128gb sd card a problem occurs seemingly most of the time, when I press the back arrow of the samsung phone to navigate out of the many folders I have to get to other folders on the sd card, the screen of the vlc android player turns white and one of only ways out of this is to close out of the vlc player and go back forward in to the directories to get back in to the folders in my sd card.
This ruins the browsing and navigation experience because more often than not I cant navigate backwards through my folders without the stupid screen turning white and staying like that until i close out the VLC app and then come back in forward ,WTF!!!.
Note:this appears to be a newer version of VLC Android with some new looks and features.
P.S.
(on my other older samsung smartphone which is an android 6 smartphone I don't have this problem, I can browser and navigate forwards and backwards through my sd card folders in the directories without it ever turning white. Also the vlc player on my amazon fire tablet works fine as well.)

Last edited:
I quit using VLC. Used to work really good but not no more. Dunno why.

Now I use MPC-HC x64

I like this one better than VLC: https://potplayer.daum.net/ but don't know if it will stream YouTube videos or not.

Unfortunately, that won't help with your phone issue since there is no Android version of Pot player. Only comment I have regarding that is that navigation thru the various folders on my SD card seems to work fine on my Samsung Galaxy 7. You might try uninstall/re-install of VLC or perhaps even a phone reset.

Last edited:
@strollin
So you can watch an mp4 video then use the back arow to navigate out of several folders within other folders,all the way back to the that directories part that says "internal storage" and "sd card storage" without it ever turning white?

The vlc android that's giving me trouble in my new phone is different from the one I have in my old samsung phone.
The new looking version that I downloaded recently in my new phone is distinguished from the older vlc android I downloaded at the beginning of 2017 in my old phone and tablets by a new feature in the directories front page, this new feature is located below the "internal storage"and "sd card storage" folders in the directories, it is called "quick access" and below it are folders that say stiff like "movies", "music", "downloads" and "podcast".
Perhaps it is this newer version casing the trouble?

I tried messing with some settings , uninstalling and reinstalling and moving app to and from the sd card and the internal storage.

I still don't know what the culprit is, is it the newest version of vlc android,the phone ,the 128gb sandisk sd card or, a combination of them?

P.S.
-The new phone I have is the samsung express prime 2.
-The sd card is a 128gb sandisk,I think the grey and red kind.

Last edited:
For crying out loud get a computer with a half up to date operating system. NOBODY is supporting XP anymore. I didn't read the rest of the post as that was enough to promote this rant.

Is there any way to download an older version of VLC Android?

I still dont know if its the the phone ,the newer version of vlc android or even the 128gb sd card causing this or a combination of these?(The problem being the app crashing when navigating back through the vast folders on the sd card.)

P.S.
(I've gotten used to use using the file navigator and media player that comes with the samsung phone,but its not the same you cant make play lists for your mp3 files and the virtual volume button is not as good as vlc.
The built in apps get the job done well, but I would still like to have a fully functional vlc android app on my phone as my main file navigator and media player for the content on my sd card.)

Back
Top Bottom