Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
BSOD

Default Vista or XP

I'm getting my new CPU in the mail today... and I was planning on doing a fresh install of XP when I finally get it but I have been unable to locate my copy of the OS. So now I have the option to install either one... its just a matter of going to my university bookstore and picking up a copy of either for $10.

I have used XP since it came out and I have been quite content. I don't use my computer for much besides listening/downloading MP3s and movies, using Publisher every now and again to update my really BLAND website, playing CS 1.6/Source, play poker online, chat, check email, view pr0n, etc.

Nothing that really requires me to have DX10. Like I said I've been content with XP and I'm not sure if I'd need Vista for anything else...

Given all of that information, and as you can see my hardware from my signature (CPU will be changing over to an Opteron), which direction would you head? I might reinstall Stalker again, but for now my 360 occupies most of my gaming needs.

Just wondering...

RESCUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Vista or XP

I don't see a signature with specs... Once they are added, I'll voice my oppinion.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I love Vista but as celegorm noted....advice cant be given until you put your specs up.

Col
beachbumfromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Golden Master

I like Vista. It takes a bit more resources than XP but it's worth it... in my opinion anyway. Plus, you'll be future proof for after Microsoft ends support for XP.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Webhead

As the others have said it depends on the specs of your computer. I wouldn't recommend Vista on a computer with anything less then 1GB of RAM. But for best performance I (and others) would recommend at least 2GB of RAM when using Vista.

Also if you want the 3D effects which is a major part of Vista you'll also need quite a powerful GPU (Graphics Card) and vista works best with Dual and Qaud Processors.

I use Vista on my laptop (see specs in sig) and on idle at desktop with the gadgets it uses about 34% of the 2GB memory in it.
New PC Specs: Intel Core 2 Qaud Q9950 1.83GHZ (Overclocked to 3GHZ), 4GB RAM PC-6400, Samsung F1 1000GB Hard Drive, Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard, Antec Freezer 7 Pro, Antec Three Hundred PC Case, Lite-ON DVD RW. Laptop Specs: Model HP Pavilion DV6174ea, Intel Core 2 Duo 5500 (1.66ghz), 2gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 7400 Go 256mb (128 dedicated, 128 turbocache), Wifi, DVD RW with lightscribe technology, and has a remote control as well!
Webhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

i agree, except the part about gpu's. it will still run aero on low end cards, but obviously the better the gpu, and higher specs, the better it will run overall
Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice

Get XP for now, wait a while, get Vista in a couple months. You got an advantage by being in college you can buy it for 10 bucks. When my sister gets into college i'm gona use her to buy all my softwares!
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

yea. if actually buy software for that price lol.
i know this is naughty, but why not download vista and give it a trial run, no need to crack it or anything
Old 09-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Golden Master

Choosing Vista is the best choice if your new computer meets all the system requirements. Don't go backwards with XP. Big mistake, of course, you have legacy software that you use tons in which Vista has no support for yet....

But the next Windows OS will be more enhanced. Only two more years, and we have a new successor to Vista. I'm so excited.

"The next version of Windows will be a transition from where Microsoft is to where it needs to be. Vista is our last operating system that looks backward." --Ray Ozzie, Microsoft's new chief software architect.

It will also be less "bloated" too.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESCUE View Post
...So now I have the option to install either one... its just a matter of going to my university bookstore and picking up a copy of either for $10...
Wow! Now I feel ripped off after paying full price for Vista... especially since I'm a freshman in college. Anyway, either OS will be fine for your activities. But, just as everyone else said... I need to see your specs.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote