Vista Wireless Connection issues

jjohnston7

Solid State Member
I have Vista on my laptop, my Girlfriend has Vista on her laptop. I setup my wireless network WPA2 increpted and not to broadcast the SSID. I had been connecting just fine on my laptop. When my girlfriend came over with her laptop Vista saw the "unnamed wireless network" and I noticed it said it was "unsecured" but figured I would try anyway even when my network is WPA2 secured. I know i was my network because I am the only one in my area listed as unnamed. When I typed in the SSID to connect it faild (I assume because it tried to connect as a non secure connection and it is truely secure). It doesn't give me a place to type in the encryption code anywhere because Vista thinks its non secured. Anyone seen this or know how to get around it?

I did change it to broadcast the SSID and then her computer saw it as secure, but when I set it back to not broadcast it gets confused again. I want to NOT broadcast it because I live in a townhouse and don't need my neighbors spending time trying to break into my wireless connection. Figured it would just be 1 more layer of security.

I don't know right off hand, but I believe if you go into the Network and Sharing Center there will be someplace that you can configure the properties of the wireless network profile. This is where you need to set it up with security. (It should be the same as how you did it on yours).

Mine saw the "unnamed network, security enabled" and when I connected to it, it asked me for the SSID name, and after that asked me for the encryption key. On hers I tried to connect but it said "unnamed network, unsecured" When I connected to it, it asked me for the SSID name, but never asked for the "encryption key". Then the connection failed.

Back
Top Bottom