Vista Ultimate Install

Ok, so I went to install it after I changed the WINDOWS folder to Windows_1 and I went through all the steps. It configured files, organized files, did whatever it and then it went to restart and then it wouldn't do anything. It went to a black screen saying that Windows couldn't start and asked me to choose an OS to start with. My choices were Windows Vista, Last Working OS (or something along those lines) and a third one. I tried all three and all of them brought me back to the same screen. I then force restarted my comp and it came to another screen and said {Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file.} So I pushed enter and then tried another option of restarting from last workable point. It brought me to my normal XP startup and here I am. A file error screen came up and said {Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online to see if it is compatible with your computer.} So that is my story. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!!!. I think my best bet is to do a clean install like celegorm said. How should I back up all my data? Sorry for the novel.

Copy your windows folder to a DVD, and music, videos movies anything you want that way when you DO a clean install, you'll have everything
to keep

he is within windows if you are upgrading in windows it wont let you unless you already have windows xp on there as far as i know.
If not i would boot from a cd and see what the results are in there.

Back
Top Bottom