Vista and RAM help

cloonan

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded from Windows XP 32-bit to Bista 64-bit, that took me a while to figure out. So i installed vista with 2 gigs of ram, did all the updates. Now when i go to put in my other 4 gigs of ram vista doesnt load up. It gets to the loading bar then a black screen. I don't understand why and now i kinda wish i just got XP 64-bit, can anyone help? thanks in advance

More than likely it is the RAM causing the issue not Vista. Sounds like one of your sticks of RAM is bad or the wrong type.

What kind of RAM is it? Are they all the same manufacturer and type?

To test for a bad stick try the following:

Take out the two sticks that you put it and test them one at a time. Whichever stick it fails on is a bad stick.

It will definitely be the memory and not Vista.

It may not even be a bad module, your timings in the bios may be too tight, most memory when running with more than two modules requires a 2T command rate.

Which board and memory modules do you have?

Also what sizes are the modules? from your post it would appear to be 2x 1GB modules and 2x 2GB modules.

Uhh sure, well i do in fact have 2x 1GB sticks and 2x 2GB sticks

my board is an Asus P5N-E SLI
the 1 gigs are Corsair, i Cant really remeber much else then that, they came with the computer

the 2 gigs are A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
which i just copied and pasted

So you don't even know if the modules are the same?

You need to run something like Everest or cpuz and find out what the Corsairs are, or pull the modules out and read the sticker then go to the Corsair website and look them up.

Are they DDR2 800?

For now I'd pull the Corsair out and run the 2X 2GB modules, set the bios timings to default and the voltage to the recommended in the bios, that should get you up and running until you find out the required information.

well i got it to work, i went into bios and turned down the MHz from 800 to 667 and it seems to be fine now

Seems like a waste of good memory to me, why would you run DDR2 800 at 667?
I'd be looking for an answer as to why it won't run at 800MHz personally.

So what did the Corsair turn out to be?

Back
Top Bottom