Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Vista Q's?

I have Vista Basic and would to ask advice regarding this.

I have Malwarebytes loaded and it is doing s great job, but Windows defender keeps blocking it every I boot up, also a Phillips MP3 player, is there a way to "unblock" this. I have read on help that is does not seem possible!

Also the User Account Control UAC I am sure is there for a reason but having to accept every time you do an action is a pain, would you recommend in switching it off?

My last Q is that this Machine is a HP and they are offering a FREE upgrade to Windows 7, BUT they charge 30 Euros handling, etc. Is this a good price and again I assume it is worth it?

Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

jonesnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Vista Q's?

I always turn uac off on my computer

If win7 is anything like the beta it's worth it

AMD 64 x2 5600+|Asus m3a|4GB RAM|Nvidia Geforce 9500 gt|320 GB Seagate Hard Drive
ringtemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Yes, turn off UAC. It's a pain in the butt which actually got a lot better in 7.

I'm using the rtm version of windows 7 (the one that will get released to the public in a weekish) and it is beautiful. I reccommend getting it. It is well worth the money.
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Solid State Member

Hi Thanks for the reply.

If I was to get the upgrade to Win 7, I assume it would have to be a complete new install, having to do back up of the stuff I already have on here, etc?
It would not be a simple task of inserting a DVD/CD and letting it do its own thing, with existing music, pistures, etc still on here?
Sorry I am not a techy!!

Any info that might be helpful concerning this process would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
jonesnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

I believe they do have an upgrade path from Vista to 7, though I would HIGHLY recommend you backup your data anyway. I've never done an actual OS upgrade. I find it's better to do a format/clean install. But I think that upgrades will save the data if you want to go that route. But BACK UP YOUR DATA ANYWAY!
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote