Vista network problem

fishfinder

Baseband Member
I installed Vista ultimate 32 bit and now i have a really annoying problem. When i boot up i can acces the internet just fine for about 5 minutes, then its like it disconnects. I installed all drivers for the ethernet connection, but it keeps dropping my conection. im on a router, but xp has no problem with accessing it. Any ideas?

Firmware refers to the ROM's (read only memoir) that stores the permanent information like how to run the software.
You can check if there is an update for your router if you have one, or you modem. If you can't find anything on your modem contact your isp and see if they know of any.

Cheers!

If your connections drop randomly like that, there really shouldn't be a problem with the modem, because it works fine in XP. Have you used the drivers for WinXP instead of using the Vista drivers by any chance?

I just got home for work and this has really been bugging me all night. So i looked up my cable modem , pcx2200 from toshiba, and it seems that you would have to connect via a usb port. Can this be right?

I checked out the manufacturer's website, and it says that you can connect the modem with usb or ethernet. Since you have been connecting it with the ethernet cable (I presume), then that should be fine. Usb is only if your computer doesn't have an ethernet port.

Sounds like a Vista NIC driver issue. What is the NIC manufacturer? What are the specs of the pc that you're using with Vista installed? Sometimes going directly to the NIC manufacturer ... Broadcom, Intel or what have you ... you can get the latest Vista Drivers that even Microsoft doesn't have in their library of Windows Updates.

Nic Not sure what that is, sorry. I know the computer can run vista no prob. Quad core intell q6600 on a xfx 680i sli motherboard. No problem at all there I dont believe, but i do agree that maybe it is a driver issue. I called the ISP and they said they wouldnt give me any driver support for their modem. Go figure they arent any help. But anyway I decided to just reinstall xp untill I get more of this computer built. Looking to buy a set of raptors to run in raid 0 maybe. NOt sure yet though. Thanks for the help and when i do finally upgrade to vista hopefully i can get this issue resolved.

Just for further reference a NIC is a Network Interface Card. AKA ethernet card.

Back
Top Bottom