Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Virus Prob

Hi my mom's laptop has a pretty big bug in it. Its A dell Vostro 1400. Anyways i just want to make sure that i should do a complete reinstall and that i have exhausted all other venues besides this.
So the problem is that every couple of minutes an error shows up with this on it.

"Enter your .exe here" -Bad image

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\gesiwoha.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette

That is the error message. So first of all the Norton Antivirus subscription was running out so it offered a free trial of Norton Internet Security...You know the suite. So i downloaded it and did a full scan. It found a bunch of cookies as well as a bunch of trojans. Once those were quarintined and i restart the computer the error messages were still popping up. So i knew that the virus was still not gone. I searched up gesiwoha.dll on the internet and i found that it was part of the virus. but i could not find it when i searched the HDD. I also could not install Malwarebytes, it would not even start up and gave me an error message that said that it could not find the program. So now i am going to just reinstall windows xp. Should i do this? Or is there something else i can try first.

Help would be helpful

P.S. did i tell you when you see the (enter your .exe here) i mean for you to enter any random .exe you know of.
My current Build

Windows XP SP 3 (Yeah pretty old)
Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo 6300@1.88 GHz
Ram-4 GB ram
Hard Drive-Maxtor 320Gb and external Freegate 250 GB
PNY Nvidia Verto 9500 GT 1GB
Too lazy to look up my Mobo but i know its Gigabyte
wizard12 is offline   Reply With Quote