Video Splitter - Extended Desktop Software

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I have a video splitter that lets me hook up a monitor and a projector to my desktop. However I'd like to use it to hook up 2 monitors. That part is easy. However, I don't want the 2 monitors to just be duplicates of each other, but instead have one big desktop so I can view 2 different things at once. Is there software that will let me do this?

jmacavali, most video cards have an application that allows you to "clone" or "extend" the desktop. What video card are you using? Does the computer recognize both displays under the new configuration? I have seen 3rd party apps before that would work for what you're looking to do, I will have to do some research to find them again.

I don't have a video card. Just the onboard video. I have a video splitter box that lets me put "in" from the desktop and 1 "out" to my monitor and 1 "out" to a projector.

I'd like to put both "outs" to monitors and then extend my desktop across both of them. I know that I can buy a video card and use that software, but I'm trying to avoid having to buy a video card, and just use what I already have.

A quick Google search led me to http://bit.ly/dbLLKw. This piece of software looks promising. Also, http://bit.ly/cozGAp provides a free version. Although I've never tried to accomplish what you're looking to do, I see no reason why this software will not work unless it doesn't recognize the displays past the splitter.

If I've understood correctly then this isn't possible. Splitters are usually pretty dumb things and just work by duplicating the signal across two outputs so you can send the same signal across multiple devices - generally speaking they won't be doing anything fancy that lets them decide what parts of the picture to put on what screen.

You could buy a cheap video card right? you wouldnt need to run any special software plus your graphics would probably look better than onboard.

^Yes. But the whole point (as stated) was to try to avoid buying a card. The graphics are fine for me (just doing basic tasks).

@berry120 - Yes you are probably right and that is what I am afraid of. I was just hoping there was some kind of software that would recoginize that there were two video signals and be able to spread the desktop across both screens.

@Crandon_Systems - Thank you. I will look into this software.

Back
Top Bottom