Video Converters? So many...

cetrax

Baseband Member
Hello. I have two important questions: I have decided to transfer my dvd collection to a hard drive. Since these are SD videos what resolution should I convert them to. I was thinking 720x480 since they are SD? Also can anyone recommend a good free video converter for this purpose? There seem to be so many now a days.

My goal is to connect a external hard drive to my home network and watch my video collection through my blu ray players via hard wired connections. Really appreciate your help.Thanks.

Also my sd movies range from 4 to 5gb each. When transfering them to mp4 what file size should I shoot for. Should I stay with 4 or 5gb or is it okay to go lower in mp4 format. I will be streaming my video collection to a 40" and 47" lcd tv's. Thanks for the help.

The first time that I transferred movies to my hdd I believe that I used a program called anydvd. This isn't a free program but it is worth it, and it comes with a 21 day free trial. This trial gives you access to all the features as well. As for a free program I am not sure of any good ones, but I can look around.

Ask for file type to create, I would recommend Matroska also called .mkv. This format works a little better streaming over a home network in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom