Video Controller Driver issue on my Windows 7

cartis824

Beta member
My Dad installed Windows 7 onto my computer and the display quality was kind of big and blurry-ish. I could read and see everything just fine but I didn't like the blurry look. I went into Device Manager and the Video Controller showed a yellow exclamation and said it was not up to date. So I got a video controller driver off a website that I can't remember now, I'm almost positive it was the one from Dell's official drivers but one that was compatible with Windows XP (what my computer originally came with, since thats what driver came up when I put in my service tag). After I updated the driver in device manager and restarted my computer and the picture is all distorted in like green, blue, and purples.

I have a Dell Inspiron B130 that I got like 5 years ago. I'm planning to get a new computer anyways, but I wanted to fix this so we can use it as a fully functioning and usable just older, less fancy family computer. I would love any help there is to offer. Thank you!!!

the graphics may not be able to handle windows 7. go to run and type dxdiag and then hit the display button to see what display adaptor you have. After this do a google search for it and download the relevant drivers (make sure its an official driver company such as the Nvidia website and not a dodgy site.

Before installing this new one, un install the old drivers that were playing up.

see if this helps.

if not then you may not be able to use windows 7 on that machine.

the graphics may not be able to handle windows 7. go to run and type dxdiag and then hit the display button to see what display adaptor you have. After this do a google search for it and download the relevant drivers (make sure its an official driver company such as the Nvidia website and not a dodgy site.

Before installing this new one, un install the old drivers that were playing up.

see if this helps.

if not then you may not be able to use windows 7 on that machine.

Windows 7 won't be limited by an older video card such as the one in his machine, it just won't be able to run the Aero feature. Other than that, the Intel GMA900 drivers should do just fine. The closest drivers I could find for the chipset that you have is here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelerator+500

Windows 7 won't be limited by an older video card such as the one in his machine, it just won't be able to run the Aero feature. Other than that, the Intel GMA900 drivers should do just fine. The closest drivers I could find for the chipset that you have is here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Graphics+Media+Accelerator+500

In my case it was as I constantly was getting a big screen due to bad resolution, it worked fine on windows xp but as soon as I upgraded the graphics did not have the drivers available so it would not display correctly. In the end I had to use force-ware to solve the resolution problem I had.

Thanks for the reply!

So once I have downloaded the driver to my computer, how do I uninstall the old driver and install the new?

Right click on My Computer and then go to Device Manager.

Under Display Adapters, you can right click on the one listed and then manually point it to the new display adapter driver.

Amazing! I downloaded the driver from the link but ended up not having to go that far. I just went into the device manager and uninstalled the old chipset drivers that I had put in before and it prompted me to restart. I restarted my computer and it was fixed. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom