Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default VGA through motherboard

I'm trying to plug my second monitor into the vertical VGA that I believe is the motherboard but it's not detecting the monitor. My friend said he had the same problem and had to download the motherboards drivers.

I've used a program to detect my motherboard and it says "N68-VS3 FX", does anyone know what I'd get for it?

Cheers

Staxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: VGA through motherboard

That motherboard only has one VGA port. Are you using an external graphics card? If so, both your monitors should be plugged into that.

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I know some intel motherboards have a feature you can enable in the bios that will allow you to use both the onboard GPU and dedicated GPU (graphic card) for a multiple monitor setup. (extended mode only. So no duplication)
But i don't know if your board have that feature.
Can't you connect the second monitor to your graphic card? I don't believe a modern graphic card with only one output exist.
If it doesn't have another VGA port, use DVI. VGA is a dying standard.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Solid State Member

I've only currently got 2 vga's, but i'll get that sorted if I cant manage this with the motherboard

What's the difference between VGA and DVI?
Cheers
Staxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

VGA is analog and DVI is digital.
What it means is that some graphic features are not supported on VGA. features like Nvidia 3D vision and DSR*
Some resolution with specific refresh rate** are not supported ether. Like Full HD at 120hz.

----------
* DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) is a feature for games that renders the game in a higher resolution than what's supported on the monitor and then downscales it to match the monitor.

** Refresh rate is the number of times the monitor refreshes the image in a second.
----------

But more important for you is the fact that the VGA signal quality gets worse and worse the longer the cable is.
For VGA cables the quality actually matters. Not so much with cables like HDMI, but a quality VGA can actually increase image quality. (If a sells man ever try to sell you a more expensive HDMI cable because he says it gives you a better image, punch him. He is lying)

Good VGA cables helps reduce the loss in quality. But it's something you have to buy besides the monitor. You see, all included VGA cables are of poor quality. So you have to spend extra money just to get the image quality that you paid for when getting a new monitor.
And long VGA cables pretty much HAVE to be of a certain quality if you don't want a noticeable reduction in image quality.

Digital cables (like DVI) is better in the way that, ether there is a signal with 100% of the quality or no signal at all.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

This video might help you understand it a little better.