Very odd windows licence problem ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a dell laptop that has a genuine licence key for windows vista home premium on the base (all letters visible)

I have put in the windows vista disk that I always use for this type of reinstall and for some strange reason it wont accept the key from the base and comes up saying something along the lines of this key is not valid please try again.

Now it must be something to do with this key as i have another key that is exactly the same (windows vista home premium oem) apart from its from sony and it works fine.

Any ideas why this key wont work ?

I'm afraid your best bet is to phone Microsoft.

Are you doing a restore or a re-install?

If you are re-installing even on the same laptop that it was already installed on your key won't work, OEM keys are 1 shot only, technically you should be able to use it on the same machine but for some reason when doing a new install It thinks your key has already been used.

Phone MS they should be able to help you.

I have talked to microsoft live chat and they gave me dells number, not going to even bother calling them as they will want me to buy a recovery disk from them.

All previous OEM licences have worked when reinstalling on the same machine. for example when hard drives go and need a fresh install.

Its just this one wont have it. I cant even get as far as to activate it so its not checking against Microsofts database.

??? will have to call microsoft i guess and hope they give me a new key.

BTW its a clean install

Back
Top Bottom