Which Version of linux?

RewtGuy said:
ubuntu is an african word for "cannot configure slackware"

meh, I thought it meant "humanity to others" .....lmfao

Ubuntu should suit you fine though, but I shouldn't talk, I'm still trying to get knoppix to work :eek:

MooseMan said:
hey i was wondering which district of linux would be best to put on a gateway 2000 from 1997 :p it's specs are P II 266MHz about 64MB of ram, 4Mb video card, and 2 4GB hardrives. the version of linux that takes up the smallest ammount of space and power would probably also be best, but also a version thats somewhat easy 2 learn linux with. your suggestions are very appreaciated!!

I'd suggest Gentoo for that machine (it compiles and optimises itself for the system you're installing it on), but it's not noob-friendly! So it's out the window if you're just trying to learn Linux.

Ubuntu'll probably hog your system, but if you slap in some more RAM you might get away with it.

I'd stick with your original plan of Suse and DSL. Not Mandriva, it's like Fedora - full of complete crap, hogs your system, and you have to pay for upgrades in the vast majority of cases.

I started off with Vector Linux 4.0. Extremely easy to install, even for a first time install. It's not absolutely loaded with features, but for getting used to a standard Linux installation, and for playing around with command lines, it's brilliant as a starting point. It's relatively small so it would run pretty quickly on that sort of computer, too. :)

Vector Linux 4.0 Download Page

Vector Linux 4.0 Installation Guide (PDF)

Have a look at both, particularly the install guide. You can print it off so you can have it with you while you carry out your install.

Hope this helps.

Slayer said:
I started off with Vector Linux 4.0. Extremely easy to install, even for a first time install. It's not absolutely loaded with features, but for getting used to a standard Linux installation, and for playing around with command lines, it's brilliant as a starting point. It's relatively small so it would run pretty quickly on that sort of computer, too. :)

Vector Linux 4.0 Download Page

Vector Linux 4.0 Installation Guide (PDF)

Have a look at both, particularly the install guide. You can print it off so you can have it with you while you carry out your install.

Hope this helps.
yea thx alot slayer i might actually use that instead of Suse and or DSL :)

Back
Top Bottom