Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Vague in Linux File system

I am confusing a lot.
I am reading about file system but there is a fundamental question that I can not find answer for it.
We know that when a storage media is formatted (For example as EXT3 FS) there is a several structure such as superblock structure and operation is created and stored on the storage media.
But things that amazing me is the file system that exist in the kernel of linux OS that is shown in the below.
What is a difference between file system in the storage media and file system exist in the Linux kernel????

hosseinz8050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Vague in Linux File system

Can you give me some more information or possibly an example of what you are talking about. I am not sure of what file system you are saying that the Kernel has?

Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Site Team
Default Re: Vague in Linux File system

@wmorri If you right click on the broken image in Op's post, (copy url, open in new tab, etc) you'll see what he means.

@hosseinz8050 The Kernal File System depends on how you format the partition. If you format the Linux partition as ext4, then that would be considered the "Kernal File System". Concerning the removable media file system: When you purchase a new USB Flash device or Removable Media device, it's typically formatted using the FAT32 file system. Unless, of course, you change that by formatting in a Linux OS, Windows OS, or Mac OS. I know for Windows, when you choose to format the device, it will default to the existing File system, FAT32, requiring you to manually change it to NTFS. Not familiar with Linux or Mac though.
Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote