Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: Using Macrium Reflect

Hi ! My bad! I meant screen shot of your Disk management!
Your screen shots would be clearer if you used the windows snipping tool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture48.jpg (98.6 KB, 4 views)

donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
In Runtime

I need to get disk 0 to be just one large partition instead of the three that it appears to be at the moment. I have tried various ways but none of them seem to work. Will I have to reformat the disk and start again?

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslt4ohb5p.png

bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
BSOD

Hi see if this helps!!
windows - How to "join" two partitions - Super User
Old 08-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Why do you need to get it down to one large partition? It should be easy to combine the last 2 partitions into a single partition but you will need to jump thru a few hoops to eliminate that first 100MB partition.

You should be able to right-click on the partition D: partition and select "Extend Volume" which will allow you to extend the D: partition into the unallocated space to the right. Note: Disk Management can only Extend into space to the right of a partition, if you want to extend to a partition to the left, you'll need a 3rd party program to do that.

Is this a data drive or a boot drive? If it's data then you can delete the 100MB 1st partition to make it unallocated but in order to add it to the D: partition, you will need a 3rd party partitioning program such as Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
strollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
BSOD

Hi strollin! Is there a way to get all three partitions to be just one. If you moved the data from the D partition then deleted it, could you then extend the first partition to the other two?? You said you can only extend to the right, so would that work??
Gary!!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

I suppose but then where would you move the data from the D: partition to?

If the OP saved all of his data to another drive, then he could simply delete all 3 partitions and then create a single partition and then copy the data back. That's probably what I would have done in the first place. Cloning only makes sense for a boot drive.

I don't know why Disk Management has that ridiculous restriction about only being able to extend to a partition on the right. None of the other partition manager software that I've used before has that restriction, only Disk Management.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
BSOD

Hi strollin! Thanks for your reply! Cloning a drive makes no sense to me. You can put a whole bunch of images on that drive and also use it for other data. A cloned drive is a big waste IMHO!!
Here's a real good read about the differences.
What are your thoughts strollin??
When to image a hard drive, and when to clone it | PCWorld
PS I liked your advise!!
Gary!!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

I'm a big fan of cloning when installing a new boot drive. I hook up the new drive as a secondary drive, clone the first to the second, then replace the first with the second. I don't use cloning to perform a backup.

Imaging is useful too but I don't make images as often as you seem to. Periodic images are useful, then in between I do data file backups. I never rely on the mfr's recovery disks or partitions for recovery but make sure I have a fairly recent image that I can use to restore my system.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #19
In Runtime

Hi folks, very interesting reading your thoughts on cloning. I've mentioned previously that I'm not that brill on computers, better than a lot of oldies though.
I wanted to 'clone' my data because I wanted the directory 'tree' to be exactly the same as I have at the moment. If I just do a backup image and then just do a 'restore' will I end up with exactly the same as if I'd cloned it?
Thanks again for all the input, very useful and I'm very grateful.
bluenose1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
BSOD

Hi Yes! A image will restore your PC back exactly like it was the day you created it. I have done it several times. You can put a brand new HDD in ,and Macrium will restore your OS on the new drive just like the day you created the image. It's a wonderful program. I wish everyone would learn how to use it!!
Gary!
PS I will be glad to answer any question you have!!