Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Beta Member
Question USB Dvd drive doesn't boot on formatted HD

Hello and thanks for viewing! My I/O Magic external USB DVD drive will not boot on my recently formatted home built PC. Ok, so here's what I've done so far. My PC originally had WinXP so I used an old floppy drive and ran an old windows 98 boot disk then I ran FDISK and set the C: partition as active. Next, I typed in Format C: and reformatted. So now I'm trying to install a retail copy of the Windows 7 DVD. BIOS recognizes the drive and I have the boot order set to boot the optical drive first then HD but when it boots up. I get a message saying "CDBOOT: Unable to boot from CD." I have had similar issues like this before and was able to resolve the errors, but I have never tried to boot from a USB drive or boot from a DVD. Do I need USB drivers even though BIOS recognizes the device? Or maybe DVD drivers rather than generic CD ROM drivers?? If so, what kind and how do I install them?

ehc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: USB Dvd drive doesn't boot on formatted HD

If youre 100% sure that the USB DVD drive is recognised in the BIOS, and that all optical drives are in priority over the hard drive then its possible that the Windows disk is not bootable which is strange.

|ASUS N56VG|i7-3630QM@2.40 GHz|8GB DDR3 RAM|NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 4GB|512 GB Crucial M500 SSD|1TB HDD|
atomichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Wizard of Wires
Default Re: USB Dvd drive doesn't boot on formatted HD

I know this doesn't help but it doesn't make sense to me that you didn't install a dvd drive in to the main board instead of using an external dvd drive. If you can temp install a drive to the mother board then get windows installed, it would be a lot simpler.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote

installing windows 7 dvd, usb dvd doesnt boot