Upgrading to Windows 7. Choice between Home Prem. and Pro...a few other Q's...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

So, I've tackled RAID1ing my desktop and getting W7 on it....twas a breeze!

Now, I'm backing up my laptop to upgrade from Vista to W7 (free upgrade that came with my laptop). A few questions though.

1) I'm going to do a complete fresh install (meaning, I don't want anything left on it from Vista. I want it to be just bare W7. Does this mean I should wipe the O/S partition, reinstall Vista and then upgrade to W7? Or, will W7 be completely fresh if I just upgrade...I don't think the latter is the case.

2) If I do have to do a complete fresh install of Vista, once I have that installed, do I need to install all the updates and whatnot? Or can I just install Vista and then immediately pop in the W7 upgrade and install that?

3) I believe the upgrade I bought is good for any computer...it's Home Premium. Through my college email, though, I purchased another upgrade version...Windows 7 Pro. because it was only $30 (and I wasn't gunna let that go to waste). So, in short, I can install either. I'm thinking I'll install the W7 Pro because it'll have a few more features, and it's going on my machine--I like to have the best I can. I can just sell the other upgrade (which is what I was going to do anyways) or give it to a family member who needs it. Is there any reason why I should not install W7 Pro, and instead install W7 H.P.?

Thanks fellas!

u should install vista first and then u should install service pack 1 if its not already there (find out by right clicking computer in start menu and clicking property's) and then run the installer from the CD

I would just install Vista then put W7 over it, end of the day any Windows install will needs loads of updates in the first couple days, so in my book it would make more sense to me to just have to do that process for W7, not both.

You'll have to install vista before you can put 7 on because otherwise the system won't have Vista on it so the upgrade package won't run.

Personally the upgrade packages are going to be simple enough, go for the pack you want, i'd do pro and you can easily sell the HP one for $30+ and cover yourself comfortably

u should install vista first and then u should install service pack 1 if its not already there (find out by right clicking computer in start menu and clicking property's) and then run the installer from the CD

get pro since it has all but 2 features that u can get in windows 7

Thanks for trying, man, but I had a hard time understanding what you were even trying to say that pertained to my questions.

I would just install Vista then put W7 over it, end of the day any Windows install will needs loads of updates in the first couple days, so in my book it would make more sense to me to just have to do that process for W7, not both.

That's what I figured. Just install Vista, skip the updates and literally go right to throwing the disc in for W7.

You'll have to install vista before you can put 7 on because otherwise the system won't have Vista on it so the upgrade package won't run.

Yup. Otherwise people would just buy the upgrades. Haha, I wonder how many people try to install it over pirated software (W7 Upgrade over pirated XP or Vista)...because apparently that doesn't work (it must check during the install?)...

Personally the upgrade packages are going to be simple enough, go for the pack you want, i'd do pro and you can easily sell the HP one for $30+ and cover yourself comfortably

Yeah. I think I'll just do the Pro. The H.P. I got was free, and the Pro was $30. I'll be able to get at least $30 for it, and if not, I'm not worried about that small amount of change.

Thanks Tom.

I'm going to end up installing W7 H.P. because the disc for the upgrade specifically says Sony. It'll look bad if I try to sell that (whereas the upgrade for Pro is just a normal one). Plus, it might not work on non-Sony equipment, I'm not sure. Oh well. No biggie either way.

Back
Top Bottom