Upgraded to windows professional,now im confused!!

canman1976

Beta member
Hi,I recently upgraded to xp professional from xp home edition now it seems that when I boot I have two operating systems to choose from,im assuming i never overwrote the xp home edition but partitioned my harddrive instead.How do i delete the xp home edition thats on my c:drive and leave only the xp professional that appears to be on a h:drive that I never had before.Can I move xp professional to the c: and totally remove the home edition or is it best to do a full system recovery using my recovery disks and put xp home edition back and then put the xp professional on the right drive(c;drive).Lastly is the c:drive callled FAT32 and the newer h;drive NTSF cause during the installation of xp professional I had to choose a location and I wasnt really sure what to do.

thanks alot.

Mate, honestly, just start again.

Firstly, back up everything you need to save.

Pop in your XP Pro cd, delete any partitions on the hard drive (this will wipe the hdd clean), recreate your new partition for the operating system and install to it. If you have multiple partitions on a single disk the delete the old os and new os partitions.

If your XP Pro is the upgrade version you'll need a previous os disk to verify a previous installation during this process, just pop in your home disk (any disk other than 95 will work) let the XP installer verify then away you go.

To remove the old install without formating gets quite messy as you have to rebuild your boot sector etc

"A true folder" thanks for helping,how do I back everything up,can I backup programs etc,i guess nero is what I need???

There is no way to back up programmes etc unless you do a drive image with a programme like Ghost or similar software.

Copy all your documents etc to cd/DVD or flash drive etc.

Mate, if you don't know how to back up are you sure you're up to this?

Decided im gonna keep both o.s on my system,the performance doesnt seem affected and im upgrading to a new system soon so Ill leave it for now.Thanks for all the advice though "A True folder".

Back
Top Bottom