Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Is the upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 worth it?

Im Thinking about upgrading my OS, but don't know if its worth it. What do you guys think?

Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Is the upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 worth it?

yes. It's a good OS and it is what Win8 should have been. It's a true successor til Win7.
I know some people still prefer windows 7, and that's fine. But not many prefers Win8 over 10.
Do the upgrade. You have a month to regret and role back. After that Windows 10 deletes the Win8 folder. (however you can properly do some hack thingy to avoid it if you want)

Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Beta Member

Possibly, driver support is still a little iffy with certain hardware.

I've installed it on a three machines:

1.) Fine no problems
2.) Blue screen if trying to recover from sleep
3.) Blue screen when connected to a networking with WPA2-Enterprise encryption.

So whilst you may have no problems, to be safer I'd wait a few months until all vendors have stabilised their drivers.
garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
yes. It's a good OS and it is what Win8 should have been. It's a true successor til Win7.
I know some people still prefer windows 7, and that's fine. But not many prefers Win8 over 10.
Do the upgrade. You have a month to regret and role back. After that Windows 10 deletes the Win8 folder. (however you can properly do some hack thingy to avoid it if you want)
You can easily get around the 30 day rollback to previous OS by booting a bootable version of Windows.

I am happy that the start screen is gone and multitasking is better. Not happy that Windows Updates is gone from the Control Panel.
BK_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
In Runtime

Windows 10 is awesome. Works flawlessly on my home computer. Works well on my laptop although it has some issues (but those are hardware issues with the laptop more than the OS). That being said I have experienced a few driver issues on my latop (none on my home rig) but nothing too bad. I think Windows 10 is the finest OS ever made.
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I'd have upgraded already if I had the time!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
Windows 10 is awesome. Works flawlessly on my home computer. Works well on my laptop although it has some issues (but those are hardware issues with the laptop more than the OS). That being said I have experienced a few driver issues on my latop (none on my home rig) but nothing too bad. I think Windows 10 is the finest OS ever made.
I agree,and if there are some issues is due overdue hardware,that's why you have Linux for old computers. so far i'm satisfied,but not with Edge browser,but one can install Chrome or Firefox.
frank55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 AM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55 View Post
I agree,and if there are some issues is due overdue hardware,that's why you have Linux for old computers. so far i'm satisfied,but not with Edge browser,but one can install Chrome or Firefox.
Yeah the same goes for me. The new update codename "Threshold 2" is expected to rollout sometime this month with another update codename "Redstone" expected to be released sometime early next year.
BK_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Only you can answer the question as to whether it's worthwhile to upgrade or not.

There's not much that's truly new in Win 10. The only reasons I see to upgrade are if you really want the new features such as the new Start menu, Cortana and Edge browser, or, you really hate Win 8.x. I have Win 7 & Win 8.1 machines that I have no plans to upgrade since they run fine and Win 10 doesn't do anything more for me.

There's nothing wrong with Win 10, but I personally don't think it's worth the bother of upgrading.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
In Runtime

If I were to move to Windows 10 I would never upgrade from an earlier version as it has been plainly demonstrated over the years that clean install is by far the best way to go. I so agree with strollin in that I don't see anything that Windows 10 does that is a "must have". It seems most chorse take more steps and there is nothing I can see other than cortana that does not work better and faster in Windows 7 or 8.1.

Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote