Updated and restarted Windows 8, now my mouse and keyboard won't work

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
This is an HP Envy Laptop that I've had for about 4 weeks now. Just now, I've updated it and restarted it because a program needed to disable my wireless adapter so it could install. That program was VirtualBox. So, I installed it fine and dandy and went to restart my laptop. I saw that there was an 'Update and restart' option so I chose that. It updated and restarted, but I found that my cursor was gone, moving the mouse and clicking it did nothing, and shortly after that, I found that the keyboard also did not work.

I tried a manual restart by holding the power button until it shut off. Restarted it and still, the same thing. Eventually, I restarted it like that about 5 or 6 times now. It hasn't resolved itself. I tried a different keyboard and mouse and that didn't work either. I can still log in, however, simply, because I have a fingerprint reader which still does work.

This part is also worth mentioning: My function keys are different from other computers in the sense that, say, I want to access the function of pressing F8 for example, I'd have to hold the FN button and then press F8. Pressing F8 alone would skip ahead one song if I were playing music. Pressing F5 alone would turn on the backlight for the keyboard. This part is important. Before I get into the lock screen for Windows 8, I can press the button to turn on the backlit keyboard just fine, it functions properly. But once I get to the lock screen, things stop working, then, when I log in, all my keys stop working. I can't even turn the backlight on or off anymore!

Please help me! I will not re-install Windows because I have important stuff that I wouldn't ever be able to get back if I did. My laptop did NOT come with a CD. USB still works, if that's of any use. I have the laptop sitting right now without the battery.

I would suggest a system restore or if you make a backup of your OS install the backup.

I wouldn't be able to do a system restore without the keyboard and mouse. I can only get as far as logging in by using the fingerprint reader.

Anyways, just after I press the power button on the computer, I can get into the diagnostics utility by pressing F11 (Or the Advanced Start Up Options by pressing Shift+F8) where the keyboard and mouse function fine. From there, I can do a system restore. BUT:

There's a problem. I will try all my system restore points but when the system restore starts, it'll come back with some kind of error telling me that my hard disk might be bad. Why, and how could that be possible? Windows boots just fine! CMD works perfectly, there's no strange noises coming from the drive! It tells me to go into CMD and try chkdsk /r which I did, but it came back with a 'disk write protection' error or something, so I tried chkdsk C: /r and it went away and did it's thing.

But that didn't help.

download a version of linux, stick it on a usb/cd, boot into it and copy all your windows stuff over to somewhere safe (externally). then just format the drive and clean install. surely thats the best way? no data lost then and a proper reinstall.

bit wierd why its done it. its clearly not faulty hardware, well not the keyboard/mouse anyway. cant see it being the HDD as it wouldnt mess the keyboard/mouse up like that surely.

Try hooking up a usb keyboard/mouse. Sounds like a driver issue after the update.

Back
Top Bottom