Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Updated Drivers, lost a BUNCH of Video RAM

Hello all,
I recently had to update my radeon HD 4850 graphics card drivers after being prompted to when loading my first Battlefield 3 game. Before I updated the drivers I went on systemrequirements.com to see if I could run Battlefield 3 and I was assured I could with my 3.5 GB of Video RAM more than meeting the 528 MB minimum.

After uninstalling my old drivers and installing the new 11.9 drivers I am running into a problem. The drivers installed correctly according to my catalyst control center but now when i go on systemrequirements.com it says I cannot run the game and i only have 256 MB of Video RAM. I tried to play BF3 with the updated driver hoping that systemrequirements was wrong or something and the lag was comical.

Is there something I did wrong installing the drivers to make all this RAM disappear or is it possible I could lose it from another way. I built this computer ~3 years ago with limited knowledge and the help of these forums and this is the first major hiccup I have encountered that I have not been able to troubleshoot with a few hours of my time and google.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rufio29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: Updated Drivers, lost a BUNCH of Video RAM

What settings is the game set to?

nathandg2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Updated Drivers, lost a BUNCH of Video RAM

You didn't do anything wrong, and your card is almost certainly only a 256 MB card. the 3.5 GB of "Video RAM" is the system's allocation of both system RAM and video ram to the 3D driver. It's a confusing problem in video drivers sometimes, but the true amount that the 4850 usually ships with is 256 MB or 512MB.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote