up grading to win 10

silverwing65

Baseband Member
Hi
I have a HP zd8000ea, OK I know it is old but it works well and fast enough for me.
My problem is this, I have 2 hdd 1 has win 8.1 the other has win 7, I up graded the win 8.1 without any problems but when I tried to upgrade the win 7 it informed me that the X300 video card was not compatible, how can this be if it worked on the other hdd.
I am a confused senior

Because Win 10 is not perfect, in fact it is far from it. Win 7 is, probably, using different drivers from Win 8.1. To be honest I wouldn't do an upgrade I would clean install Win 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Using this tool you download an ISO and from that you either make a bootable USB stick or a bootable DVD. If you do use this method make sure that you have backed up all your personal files first although you should be doing that anyway.

No your product keys should already be registered on the Microsoft product activation website. It will definetly work for Win 8.1 but there have been issues with Win 7 if Win 7 was registered a while back. Microsoft say they are addressing this problem but I have had a problem registering an upgraded Win 7 recently. Two ways around it. Ring Microsoft, it is a free number that I cannot recall at the moment. Finding that number is a nightmare and then actually talking to a living person at Microsoft is again a nightmare. Easiest route I found was to reinstall a clean install of Win 7, register it then upgrade that using the media Creation Tool. It is still a bit of faff with Win 7 but it should work or at least it did for me when I have done that. If you do not have the Win 7 disks you can download a Win 7 ISO from that URL I gave you but it will ask for the Win 7 product key. Having said all that it might/should work just doing the install from the DVD/USB stick you made from the ISO.

Of course with Windows, any Windows, there is the potential for it all to go up the creek so make sure you have everything backed up.

Hi
While upgrading to win 10 the screen has gone blank and has been that way for the last 30 mins, I can see that the cpu light is flashing, should I leave it to see if it is doing what it should
Thanks
Pete

Hi
While upgrading to win 10 the screen has gone blank and has been that way for the last 30 mins, I can see that the cpu light is flashing, should I leave it to see if it is doing what it should
Thanks
Pete

Yep to be honest that is all you can do. if the HDD light is flashing you have to assume that it is doing something. You do have a relatively slow computer and the Win 10 install does just go off on it's own with no indication of what it is doing, well done Microsoft geeks for that one. It could have gone up the creek but you do need to leave it for a good while before you do anything drastic like rebooting the pc. I do hope you backed your stuff up first like I told you you should.

Oh and don't forget to remove the usb stick or DVD after Windows does it's reboot or it will boot from that again and restart the install.

Run Magical Jelly Bean to extract your windows keys, then do clean installs of Windows 10 from a USB stick using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. You'll have a faster system.

Back
Top Bottom